1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Fisher on McNair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jul 7, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think about 10 percent of murder-suicides feature a woman at the trigger. Phil Hartman's wife was the perpetrator in that one.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

has anyone uncovered that McNair's girlfirend was pregnant? My theory

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Since Metro PD's coroner has concluded she had no motive, it would appear she was not pregnant.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand why anyone would criticize Jeff Fisher and Eddie George for standing up for McNair. We're all adults here, we understand McNair made some very poor decisions.

But, if it was your friend, wouldn't you do the same thing?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

no doubt. speaking for myself, i don't believe i was critical of fisher or george. just notedthat, despite their takes on mcnair being this "great person," the vote of public opinion might not agree when or if it's clear to all that the 36-year-old dad of four was involved with a naive 20-year-old lunatic.

and asking if there is any way the manner of his death becomes the first thing -- and perhaps only thing -- most folks remember about him.

including football die-hards who are not oilers/titans/mcnair fanbois.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

press conference now. she did it. gunpowder on hand. no known motive beyong that i'm guessing she was pissed.

cops say he was asleep on couch when shot.

they also think she learned that mcnair was seeing yet another woman. oy.

cop: "she was spinning out of control."

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sounds like she saw a woman leaving their place a couple days before, and tried to follow her. Not clear whether McNair was 'seeing' that woman, would you agree, shockey?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I absolutely cannot put myself into the mind of this woman, but how crazed do you have to be to shoot an unarmed sleeping person FOUR TIMES! Wouldn't one shot do it? How do you stand there and fire four shots into someone you were planning to marry??

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes. all cops said was she believed he was seeing another woman. but he was asleep on the couch so it's not like this came on the heels of an argument or anything.

as for you other post, 21, obviously this young girl was terribly disturbed.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This is a great post. I'm amazed that when someone like Michael Jackson dies, people who never met the guy and wouldn't be given the time of day if they did, defend him so vehemently. BUT, it's the right thing to do to defend/stand up for/speak well of people you are close to because friends, after all, are the people who see through your faults to the good in you.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My guess is that he came "home" drunk after partying with his boys and told her he wasn't leaving his wife. He fell asleep and she killed him, then herself.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Wow. Just gets crazier.

To speak to your point, I think the shocking nature of his murder is higher the shock value of his having an affair.

If he was caught on camera with this woman and it was on TMZ or his wife was suing him for $20 million (thinking of Jeff Gordon's deal), then it would be a big deal by itself.

But this whole murder, shot-in-the-head thing trumps that story line by a mile. When this story is settled, which it sounds like it is, then I'm guessing more attention will be paid to his womanizing.

Draft saved Draft deleted