1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JD Drew to Red Sox for $70 mil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

In this market, Wells will get much more than 90. Also, Pena only the odd man out if Manny stays (which I think he will).

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There's already too many fucking all-purpose threads. There's nothing wrong with this one.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm guessing everyone's presuming they trade Manny, which means Wily Mo still plays.

4. Re: Drew To Beantown - Confirmed

BC-BBA--Red Sox-Drew,0254
    Drew, Red Sox reach preliminary agreement on $70 million, 5-year contract
    Eds: Will be UPDATED
    By JIMMY GOLEN
    AP Sports Writer
    LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) — Scott Boras and the Boston Red Sox culminated weeks of negotiations by reaching a preliminary agreement Tuesday on a $70 million, five-year contract for the services of JD Drew.
    Drew will receive $14 million annually in the deal, which is subject to a physical. The physical was a sticking point in negotiations as the Red Sox were insisting that Drew take a spelling test as well as a physical to prove that he is not illiterate as has been reported. The Red Sox relented on this demand and now Drew gives Boston a powerful middle of the batting order alongside David Ortiz and future first ballot Hall of Famer Manny Ramirez — if Ramirez isn’t traded in a 10 cents on the dollar transaction.
    “He’s going to be a contributor. They had two big sluggers, righty-lefty, Ortiz and Ramirez,” agent Scott Boras said. “J.D. has a great on-base percentage. He gives you a quality at-bat. He’s an RBI guy. And he’s really going to add a defensive component to that team that is, I think, really going to enhance their play, what they do both with arm strength and his ability to cover ground in the outfield. And his baserunning — he can run a little bit. He is going to steal 20 or 30 bases. He’s going to bring a dimension there.” Boras negleted to mention that last year Drew stole only 2 bases while getting thrown out 3 times. It is assumed that Boras meant 20-30 stolen bases over the course of the contract not per year.
    Boras also represents Daisuke Matsuzaka. Boston bid $51,111,111 for his rights and has until Dec. 14 to reach an agreement. The pitcher’s current team, the Seibu Lions, receives the money only if the Red Sox and Matsuzaka strike a deal.
    “I think it’s going to take a cooperative effort from three parties to get something done on this,” Boras said. The super-agent did say he was pretty hopeful a deal would get done but would not comment on the rumor that Boston was offering to just simply give Boras a percentage of the team instead of his normal commision just to speed things along.
    AP-ES-12-05-06 1950EST

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: Drew To Beantown - Confirmed

Well done, as always Boomer.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh sure... you could have done THAT for me last year for Secret Santa

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Drew just grounded out with runners on base.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awful signing. Awful, awful signing.

They wouldn't give four years and $50 million last year to Johnny Damon, who has heart coming out of his ass. But now they give five years and $70 million to JD Drew, who hasn't ever given a shit? Makes no sense.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I thought you needed books instead. I feared you might never recover once you saw inside the Mind of Boom. Some men never do.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

He just got thrown out at home plate behind Jeff Kent. Again.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If Drew can get $70 million to hit .265 and play in half the Red Sox games, I wonder if I can get $250,000 to hit .083 and play slightly below-average defense every day. I'll even stop believing in dinosaurs if that's a deal breaker.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I did need books... and I overlooked the potential long-term drain bamage... my bad

Draft saved Draft deleted