1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JD Drew to Red Sox for $70 mil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Dec 5, 2006.

1. I'm hoping JD Drew flunks his physical.

Hopefully the doctor will check to see if he has a heart.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

While I have mixed emotions about our date, I wonder how you can say that about Damon. At the time, I agreed with you, and didn't like the signing from a Yankee perspective. But in retrospect, his contract is a complete bargain compared to what's being tossed around this year (though Beltran the year before would have been the bigger bargain - worst offseason ever).

3. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

you made my point for me, doc - someone else posted JD Drew to the sox, and nobody even knew

i went to espn.com and yahoo and it wasn't up there, so i google newsd it, and saw a boston herald link

if the louisville game is awesome tonight, i may start a thread, hope it works for you.

NBA threads? i may have started 1, possibly 2 this season.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Can we substitute you for one of your female friends or family members? Not sure anyone wants to see any of us male sportswriters run naked down 5th Avenue.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Honestly, how often does this happen and has it ever happened on a major signing like this?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe Luppy will join us for that event when we tell who we are throwing at.

If JD replaces Nixon, it makes sense, but if is at the expense of Manny, its a terrable signing.

7. I'm surprised nobody even mentions Wily Mo Pena. This signing makes him the odd man out.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I backed out of the argument more than an hour ago, but since you can't let it go ...

It moved across the wire at 7:40 EST. It's also on ESPN.com's front page. So even though I know you feel the need to pat yourself on the back for this one, any deskers out there should have already known about it.

BC-BBA--Red Sox-Drew,0254
    Drew, Red Sox reach preliminary agreement on $70 million, 5-year contract
    Eds: Will be UPDATED
    By JIMMY GOLEN
    AP Sports Writer
    LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) — J.D. Drew and the Boston Red Sox culminated weeks of negotiations by reaching a preliminary agreement Tuesday on a $70 million, five-year contract.
    Drew will receive $14 million annually in the deal, which is subject to a physical. He gives the Red Sox a powerful middle of the batting order alongside David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez — if Ramirez isn’t traded.
    “He’s going to be a contributor. They had two big sluggers, righty-lefty, Ortiz and Ramirez,” agent Scott Boras said. “J.D. has a great on-base percentage. He gives you a quality at-bat. He’s an RBI guy. And he’s really going to add a defensive component to that team that is, I think, really going to enhance their play, what they do both with arm strength and his ability to cover ground in the outfield. And his baserunning — he can run a little bit. He is going to steal 20 or 30 bases. He’s going to bring a dimension there.”
    Boras also represents Daisuke Matsuzaka. Boston bid $51,111,111 for his rights and has until Dec. 14 to reach an agreement. The pitcher’s current team, the Seibu Lions, receives the money only if the Red Sox and Matsuzaka strike a deal.
    “I think it’s going to take a cooperative effort from three parties to get something done on this,” Boras said.
    AP-ES-12-05-06 1950EST

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Guy, I still believe Damon will fall apart after next year, and will be so awful defensively at some point, the Yankees will have to DH him or move him to right field. I could be wrong, but I don't see him aging well. Considering that Dodgers gave $55 million to Juan Pierre (or whatever), the Sox giving Coco $18 million over three years is a friggen steal.

The Sox could have sat tight for a year and thrown a ton of money at Vernon Wells. Would have been a much wiser investment to give Wells $90 million than J.D. Drew $70 million.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Drew To Beantown - Confirmed

Read it and weep Sox fans- this story just ran on the wire:

BC-BBA--Red Sox-Drew,0254
    Drew, Red Sox reach preliminary agreement on $70 million, 5-year contract
    Eds: Will be UPDATED
    By JIMMY GOLEN
    AP Sports Writer
    LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) — J.D. Drew and the Boston Red Sox culminated weeks of negotiations by reaching a preliminary agreement Tuesday on a $70 million, five-year contract.
    Drew will receive $14 million annually in the deal, which is subject to a physical. He gives the Red Sox a powerful middle of the batting order alongside David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez — if Ramirez isn’t traded.
    “He’s going to be a contributor. They had two big sluggers, righty-lefty, Ortiz and Ramirez,” agent Scott Boras said. “J.D. has a great on-base percentage. He gives you a quality at-bat. He’s an RBI guy. And he’s really going to add a defensive component to that team that is, I think, really going to enhance their play, what they do both with arm strength and his ability to cover ground in the outfield. And his baserunning — he can run a little bit. He is going to steal 20 or 30 bases. He’s going to bring a dimension there.”
    Boras also represents Daisuke Matsuzaka. Boston bid $51,111,111 for his rights and has until Dec. 14 to reach an agreement. The pitcher’s current team, the Seibu Lions, receives the money only if the Red Sox and Matsuzaka strike a deal.
    “I think it’s going to take a cooperative effort from three parties to get something done on this,” Boras said.
    AP-ES-12-05-06 1950EST

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Drew To Beantown - Confirmed

Jeebus, look two posts below.. that's as DB as you can get...

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: Drew To Beantown - Confirmed

Slappy, allow me to introduce you to the complex, often amusing, occasionally tasteless, always mocking, strange crazy sense of humor that is Boom 70.

Draft saved Draft deleted