1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JD Drew to Red Sox for $70 mil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No doubt about that. At his price and given this market, Manny looks like a bargain.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's right near the bottom of the last page. Chris_L beat you by almost an hour, Deep_AF.

And do you realize how lame it is to start several threads on a subject when there already are all-purpose threads?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

To be fair, Doc, separate headlines on here for actual breaking news can alert deskers who don't have time to read 17 pages of a thread.

That's what everyone else on here is saying.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fair enough. But it's become SOP for A_F.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How about we get the Doctor his own all-purpose thread, so everyone else can post without his permission?

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Understood. And I think A_F's penchant for starting a running thread for run-of-the-mill NBA games is a bit weird.

But breaking news like $70 mil for Drew before it hits the wire I think warrants a thread. I know several people have posted that SportsJournalists.com helps them find out about deaths/signings/records etc. so they can get to work on page changes.

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I think this deal is OK for the Sox if they keep Manny. Drew in the five hole works. But if he is the guy protecting Ortiz because Manny was traded, the Sox are going to be in big, big trouble.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Okay. Apologies.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ha! No need for an apology, silly.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Oops, I orginally poted this on the hot stove. Didn't realize we branched out.

On Drew, he's better than Nixon, so if their just spending more, it shouldn't bother you and they'll be better - he'll be the 3rd best hitter in a lineup that used to have two bests & a bunch of 5th & 6th best types. As the #3 "option", there also shouldn't be too much pressure. If he's there to replace Manny, you have a right to be pissed.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'll say this for the signing, it's a great one ...
    for the week and a half that Drew will be healthy.

Drew + enormous guaranteed contract = me giggling like a schoolgirl

/admitted phils phan

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever spent this much money knowing there is a 60 to 70 percent chance it won't work at all? I mean, if J.D. Drew plays 140 games three times during this five year contract (he's only done it twice in his career), I'll run naked down 5th Avenue in the middle of winter while Guy, Boom, Gold and the rest of the SJNY.com Yankee fans launch snowballs at my freezing pink ass.

Drew will not only be hurt often in Boston, he'll likely wilt and cry and be eaten alive by fans determined to hate him. I'll be stunned if he ever drives in 100 runs or hits .290.

They made the right decision with Pedro, the right decision with Damon, then decided for reasons no one can understand to simply light money on fire this year. Doesn't make any sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted