1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jazz find or Jazz finds?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, May 27, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

England are furious with this question!

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're spot on about that old bean!

3. But what about Wolfpack or Wolf Pack? It is a pack of wolves and 'pack' is singular.
    You don't make 'team' singlular, do you?
    I agree that Jazz is no singlular, just like Lightning, Crush or Golden Hurricane, etc. But a blanket rule isn't right.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, that's always been weird to me, but obviously, they're consistent with it, just as we are with Heat are, Jazz are...whatever your style is.

5. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Jazz find groove
    Jazz find their groove

It's plural.

6. sportsed

sportsed Member

England is a location; the English are the people. There is such a thing as singular plural, which took AP and many news organizations around the country a decade to come around to accepting. Wouldn't use "it" in reference to the Fighting Irish, would you? At the very least, for the sake of parallel construction, it seems that you'd want both teams' nicknames to be handled as plural.

7. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I've always been beaten down with "team is an it", but nicknames that are plural are treated as being plural. So, Miami finds new QB, Dolphins find new QB. But I hate having to treat Heat, Magic, Jazz, etc., as singular. It sounds like we're trying to be smarter than everyone else, which we're not most of the time. I'd prefer to make them all plural.

8. sportsed

sportsed Member

Didn't mean to bash or lecture, and I apologize if it came off that way. Just saw this as an opportunity to share a thought, and the very premise of why my place chooses to treat all team nicknames as plural.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The simple answer is:

Ask what your paper's style is when you begin there.

Consistently apply said style without deviation.

And don't spend another nanosecond worrying about whether it sounds "right" to you or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted