1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JayFarrar watch — Let's keep me alive

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Oct 19, 2008.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

Props to Jay for having some guts about doing this. This kind of thing is the very reason why I hated the few short months I worked news, and why I never will again. Don't have the figs to match Jay's fortitude. Mad props.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Jay, know anyone at the IRS? Might be easier to report on a successful investigation by them, even if it takes some time, than on something where paperwork, in theory, be created, backdated, etc. Remember, that's how they got Capone.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And Marriott points are income, but I doubt any sportswriter is declaring that.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I'd be careful about blatant generalizing.

It might also help if you could pick the brains of some of the reporters who caught Bernard Kerik in all sorts of illegal shenanigans and ethical violations. I bet they'd have a few pointers.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thank you hondo.

Don't you have crosses to burn somewhere? :)

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Where the apartments are concerned, is it that much different than someone who works as the complex's handyman or super in exchange for a break on the rent? How often do those guys report it as income?

And just to play devil's advocate for a minute, but is your brother a cop in this particular town? Is that complex where cops get free keys in this town? You'd better have some rock-solid proof on the mistress allegations -- up to and including photos or multiple, multiple sources -- before you run that. That's how libel suits are won.
    Good luck with this, Jay, but be careful in more ways than one.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Well-played.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I would guarantee that virtually 100 percent of sports writers who travel could get pinched if such a story was written.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's called the Bernie Kerik discount. I think Rudy Guliani's firm consults with local police departments about putting this program in place.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Firemen pull waaaayyyy more chicks than cops.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This sounds like a hell of a story but I think it's utter fucking bullshit that a cop has to pay taxes for the mileage he/she accrues driving a patrol car to and from work. If you're a cop, or a fireman, you're never off duty.

Fuck the IRS.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Bullshit. If you are going 50, 60 miles one-way as part of your commute, you aren't always on duty.

Draft saved Draft deleted