1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JayFarrar watch — Let's keep me alive

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Oct 19, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As I have told others, I no longer do sports. I work on investigative pieces and news side stuff.
    I occasionally venture back into sports land, but just for freelance money.
    Anyway, I'm working on a project that involves my local cops.
    In short: I'm working on an article that basically says all my local cops are tax cheats. They are issued patrol cars to take home and they have to declare their commuter mileage as income. They aren't. They also have to declare as income if they are getting a place to live for free or a reduced rate. Some apartment complexes will hire the cop as off-duty security and their payment is free or reduced rent.
    That is income and the cops seem to be operating under the "I'm a cop, so I don't have to follow the law" rule.
    They may also be maintaining dual residences. One for their wife and family and one for their mistress/girlfriend. Stashing the other girl in the free place.
    The ones who live in the suburbs may have also registered to vote in town so they could cast ballots in the local races. That would be like voter fraud.
    Word travels and it has gotten around what I'm working on.
    A reporter from another outlet e-mails me and says he has heard that they are scheming to harass me or just beat me up.
    He also writes, "Dude, You might want to be careful with that story. Leave messages as to where you are and where you will be. ... You know how the cops and all around here are. Just be careful."

So, this is some good stuff. If I seem to be gone for more than a few days at a time, notify the Justice Department or something.

2. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

How did you get a copy of each officer's tax returns?

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Well, if they come and beat you up the virgin can run — oh, wait — and call the cops — well, damn.

Jay, you're fucked. Which might be the first time in months.

4. JayFarrar

I didn't.
    The police department is supposed to account for the mileage and send each officer a statement listing the mileage and the amount it is worth. This all came about after the last major tax code change.
    The city hasn't been doing that. So they are not in compliance. The cops seem to think they get some sort of public safety exemption, so they haven't been reporting it either.
    That is also true for the apartments.
    If you work for somebody, your employer has to issue a W-9. If you are hired as a security guard and your pay is a grand a month. Then you have to declare that as income. But instead of getting paid cash, the money goes to their rent for the cops.
    That's a tax violation
    Whether you are getting paid or paid in kind, you are still getting paid.
    It has to be declared.
    The cops here think they don't have to declare it. Since it is somehow "exempt".
    The same is true for reporters.
    I have to declare as income my freelance money.
    You got cops here, living in luxury apartments that are in excess of two grand a month to live in. More than $25,000 a year in income, not declared.
    The IRS auditors just spooged themselves.

5. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Sounds like an interesting story.

I'm preaching to the choir, but cops are notorious for "adhering to the letter of the law" unless it's a freedom of information request or something else that they deem unpatriotic.

Don't sweat the threats. I've been there - both in person and through the grapevine - but it's all bluster unless they're certifiably dog-shooting crazy (I've run into a couple of those as well). They're not used to someone other than their commanders questioning them. They may be cold to you for a while but they won't physically do anything.

Keep in touch with your coworkers if it makes you feel better, but even if one makes a non-deadly threat to you I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I once had a guy threaten to take out my knees with his asp baton. I pretty much kept it to myself and a few days later he apologized. Actually, he became one of my best inside sources.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I blame the Clintons. First, Vince Foster, now you, Jay.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I sure hope you can confirm or reject that 'may also be' before the story gets out. Yikes.

8. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Yep. Jay, you probably want to leave the whole mistress part out together.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Of course, if he CAN confirm it, that's a helluva lot more interesting than cheating on a mileage report.

10. JayFarrar

My brother is a cop.
    I can confirm for an absolute fact that cops take advantage of the free apartments and use them for their girlfriends or as places to have sex with someone not their wife.
    One of the big apartment management companies in my part of the world, will give cops keys to an empty place if they ask.

11. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Will you be quoting your brother?

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

God forbid if anyone on this planet is making a few extra bucks that the government can't get its grubby hands on.......

Draft saved Draft deleted