1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay-Z on Letterman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Best rapper ever.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That is the story I was referencing when I made that comment.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe he was nervous because he knew going on Dave Letterman was going to raise his street cred to levels beyond the scope of human imagination.

Nothing screams relevance in the rap world like MC'ing with Paul Shaffer.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I disagree but to each his own.

That's kind of what I thought. That is amazing that he doesn't write anything down.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He came right out and said on 'Encore' that he'd be back ....

As fate would have it, Jay's status appears
    to be at an all-time high, perfect time to say goodbye
    When I come back like Jordan, wearin the 4-5
    It ain't to play games witchu
    It's to aim at you, probably maim you
    If I owe you I'm blowin you to smithereeens
    Cocksucker take one for your team

God damn your man Hov' cracked the can open again
    Who you gon' find doper than him with no pen
    just draw off inspiration?

6. Crash

Crash Active Member

When he recorded "Dirt Off Your Shoulder," he accidentally heard the sample beat among a group of beats Timbaland brought to the studio for him. Timbaland had played the beat from Ludacris' future single, "Number One Spot' (the Austin Powers beat) and Jay didn't like it. The first few drums to DOYS played, and Jay told him to go back to it. He stood there and listened to it for a few minutes, walked into the booth and laid down the third verse.

I don't know if Jay is the best rapper of all-time, but he's got to be in the discussion.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think for accomplishment and business and spreading his name into several different worlds and kind of reaching all different people, Jay's in the talk. I LOVE his flow, but I also know others who don't love it as much.

I'd probably put him behind Pac but ahead of Rakim and Biggie.

8. imjustagirl

Jay on Maher:

9. imjustagirl

OK, I'm watching it.

Here's the thing: Like I said, you have to work for it. Dave's first question out the box was "How did your name evolve" which is just a stupid question. So, Jay answered it straight, and was ready to move on. Re: the marriage question, Jay NEVER talks about the relationship. Neither does Beyonce. Dave had to know that, or his staff researchers are idiots.

Did bring about the "pot calling the kettle sneaky" line, which was awesome.

I don't know. Seemed like basic Jay to me. Easy with the laughter, having fun, but not rewarding laziness.

10. Jay's definitely the best ever for his entire body of work....nobody, really, even comes close.

As a raw MC, Biggie's still the best ever....His wordplay has forever been unmatched

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Right on!

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I'll take Pac over anyone. Biggie is good, but he is probably fifth on my list
    1. Pac
    2. Rakim
    3. Jay
    4. Nas
    5. Biggie

I still have a hard time seeing Biggie as the best ever because he did so many songs that I THINK (everyone realize this is just my opinion) are kind of corny.

Draft saved Draft deleted