1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Paterno REALLY likes being in the news

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Meatie Pie, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Suing Penn State over his "lost coaching career".

Classic stuff from him. Just does not know when it's time to go away, and stay away, forever.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/07/22/jay-paterno-sues-penn-state-lost-coaching-career

He and Pat Knight should form a club.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He still lives in the land of the Kool-Aid drinkers, so it is hardly shocking that he sees himself as the victim.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Could have been a hero by calling that kidfucker out, but instead is a zero. Boo hoo.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I despise nepotism which litters my world (TV news, especially in sports) and, to some extent, big-time coaching. I didn't have a father in my life, much less one doing play-by-play for the Cardinals or Reds, so I tend to not think too highly of kids of the uber-successful who underachieve.

Looking through Jay Paterno's coaching resume, I imagine his first coaching jobs came from head coaches at lesser programs not wanting to slight to Old Man for when the PSU job opened. Then Jay Paterno comes back to State College and, for 13 years, coaches some of the least productive quarterbacks at a BCS-level school.

Did anyone watch PSU's quarterbacks for those years? Once you got up 13 points on the Lions, game over.

Also, being a visible part of that program that was slapped with a $60 million dollar fine is something that probably gets brought up in the interview when the HR manager wants an accounting of any glaring employment gaps.

Since O'Brien, wisely, let him go in 2012, Jay Paterno has done anything to stay "important". Considering Congress, looking at Lt. Governor (what, was Ed Rendell a long-lost uncle to him at one point?)... what a mess.

A guy like Jay should go like with his ma, count the old man's money and drive her to her appointments.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There is no profession marred more by nepotism than coaching.
    Davy Shula, Lane Kiffin, Kyle Shanahan- any number of examples suffice.
    At least politicians' sons still need to be elected.

6. exmediahack

I forgot about David Shula and Mike Shula. :)

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is nepotism everywhere - it's probably just more visible in sports. Which probably makes it worse - because you can't BS a game score like you can a quarterly report.

8. exmediahack

Also why I'm happy my son wants to be a mechanical engineer and NOT a teevee news anchor.

Draft saved Draft deleted