1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So Inky-Wretch and JC are OK with A) journalists overtly showing their partisanship in public for someone who'll be running for, and possibly holding, the highest office in the land; B) cheaters in sports; and C) not heeding legal decisions because, y'know, everyone who clamors to be on the right side of the domestic abuse issue just happened to be on the scene and witnessed every detail of whatever it was that happened.

I would say that you need to go to some other gossip board, children, because you have no business being around and soiling anything remotely resembling journalism.

Did Mariotti strike someone or was he falsely accused of doing that, with cops who wanted to make sure they weren't accused of minimizing or showing favoritism in their handling of the incident? I don't know. I certainly wasn't there. How factual are the alleged "facts" of the conflicting versions? And has he paid any price for it as it is, given his career arc? I'm not feeling bad for Jay M., but this zeal on certain issues to crush people and their livelihoods is nothing short of mob mentality.

Meanwhile, there's a whole world of toadies who can fawn over Hillary Clinton but if you're in the journalism business, you need to have that not be you. And I could give a rat's ass if some of the same jackasses who like to be inside the club rather than scrutinizing the club did the same thing for Bush or whomever. Go to a fucking comedy club if you want your yuks. Or get out of the news business.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A) Ovationghazi doesn't prove partisanship. Unless, of course, you think a standing ovation back when Bush did Nerd Prom means the media was partisan in his favor. And that the media was slanted in GHW Bush's favor and Reagan's favor when they got standing Os at WHCA banquets.

B) Cheaters suck.

C) A crime being expunged from somebody's record doesn't mean it didn't happen. I've had speeding tickets expunged, doesn't mean I wasn't driving 50 in a 30.

D) When did you turn into a troll?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think we can safely blame Obama for Joe's condition.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I guess if you are naive enough to go through the 90's believing baseball players were clean, even if they were hitting home runs like it was a slopitch game you are naive enough to believe Marriotti didn't hit is girlfriend. I'll live in a world where we base things on balance of probalities.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It was an interesting column. I wish it had been written by someone who was a credible journalist and not someone who has countless axes to grind. I love when a columnist criticizes ESPN because it doesn't happen very often. When Mariotti does it, and he said in his column he will, it will ring hollow whether he's right or wrong. He could write a column, make tons of great points and it will be dismissed because he's Jay Mariotti.

6. Joe Williams

Wrong again, LTL. Unabashedly left-leaning "journalists" who offend the ethics of the profession are what I'm mostly animated about. Bunch of referees/umpires on the take, abdicating the only reason for their existence.

Either you're someone who wants to clap and stand for politicians who constantly require the scrutiny of news coverage, or you're a journalist. Enough with the "...b-b-b-but media clapped for Bush/Reagan/whomever-from-the-other-side." Wrong in any or all directions.

7. Inky_Wretch

Perhaps you missed the first-hand account by somebody who was there.

8. Joe Williams

This version suggests less journalist clapping but not less standing. If accurate, that's a bit better. Yet not good enough, if I'm their boss.

Consider: We've all covered pressers where a new coach or player is introduced and the room is stocked with team personnel. None of the media joins in on the staffers' applause or -- sheesh! -- any standing. Anyone who does is quickly branded a homer or worse. So I maintain that, if you're a journalist and she's HRC, you withhold your clapping and, good God, your standing at least equal to the sports schmucks from the toy dept. do when confronted with the introduction of a new coach or a linebacker.

"Awkward?" "A show of aggression?" Give me a break. If anything, by not standing, they make clear their allegiance is to the profession and to the role they're charged with filling. There was no need for any standing. There was no need for any clapping. Not for a major politician who should expect rigorous, unbiased coverage from the journalists' media outlets -- if only so those outlets' dwindling audiences can trust them.

If a bunch of sports journalists know that's a line to draw, regardless of how much free food they scarf down from the media buffet, these oh-so-serious news types ought to be able to cope. But they're fans, so they don't.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

What does this have to do with Jay Mariotti, again?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

THERE'S A VIDEO (skip to 26 minute mark)

11. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Not much.

12. Inky_Wretch

Pressers =/= keynote speeches at a luncheon.

Draft saved Draft deleted