1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Mariotti resigns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 26, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know I'm going to offend a large part of this board - but sports columnist (particularly of the style of Marriotti) can just as easily be filled by "citizen journalist."
    And I'm being serious. Select five finalists from submissions, pay them about a tenth (if that) of Marriotti's salary and let the people pile on and give him or her just as much crap as they gave Marriotti.
    I'd spend money on someone who can write a solid gamer or feature on deadline. Much tougher to find than someone in Chicago who thinks the Sox suck and Ozzie should be canned.

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

His act had grown pretty tiresome in Chicago. Nothing but (I don't how to write the sound I want to make but i'll try) Rarh, Rarh, Rarh, Complain, Complain, Complain, Change my Opinion with the Wind or Barometric Pressure, Rarh, Rarh, Rarh, I'm scared of my own co-workers, Rarh, Rarh, Rarh, I can yell louder than you can, Rarh, Rarh, Rarh, I'm scared of going into the locker room, Rahr, Rahr, Rahr, I'm really a pussy but I'll try to act all tough, Rahr, Rahr, Rahr.

3. Sly

Sly Active Member

And, pray tell, Dan ... just how are these people going to file anything close to coherent when a game goes to overtime and the desk is trying to buy every spare minute?

I've never liked the windsock approach that Mariotti took either, but I will always give him props for being able to synthesize a large amount of information in a very short time in a style that flowed very easily. (Of course his opinions were the chicken bones getting stuck in your throat.)

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Sebaticle?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Quit being kondisending.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes and no.... I'm in business for myself. Occasionally, that means newspapers.
    However, my 76-year-old father also reads the Sun-Times at his local library in Minneapolis and still is amazed how Eddie can draw a paycheck.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

'pampered, pompous ball of puss.'

Of puss? Like in pussy? Or pus? Like in maggotty, yellow, infected sore?

Inquiring minds....

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Gotta ask, I Digress, did you rub peanut butter on the screen of your avatar?

If so, The Granny likes.

OK, back to the thread ...

9. So Jay Mariotti shouldn't quit his job because he's living YOUR dream?

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

tuna water?

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I know everybody loves to hate Jay Mariotti, but ...

1. He cared a lot about his column (I know, I know, he's never been in a clubhouse.)
    2. He rarely mailed it in despite doing TV work, etc. (I know, I know, his act is tired!)
    3. He seems to be a newspaper guy. (I know, I know, he just gave up a "dream job.")
    4. He seems genuinely sad about leaving (I know, I know, he has no soul!)
    5. I always enjoyed reading his column. (No blue font. I'm dead serious.)

12. I agree.

The main problem with our industry (talking journalistically here, not business-wise) isn't negative contrarians like Jay. Hell, we need more of them, really.

It's the ubiquitous sycophants that earn us the toy department label. Wish we'd get as worked up about the clowns who wear team garb to college football practices as we do at Jay for taking on the local teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted