1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Mariotti is *not* a blogger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 23, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He writes a perpetual web column (I don't get the difference either)...

And he's written something about how the White Sox are organizing a Dubya-like smear campaign against him.
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariottiweb/571207,mariottiweb3092307.article

Sox-paganda exposed!

September 23, 2007
    BY JAY MARIOTTI Sun-Times Columnist

Gee, I think this is the proudest day of my career. A piece in Columbia Journalism Review says professional sports franchises, such as the White Sox, orchestrate specific campaigns against sportswriters they don't like based on smear strategies derived from -- drum roll, please -- the Bush administration and political public-relations firms.

Let me get this straight: You mean to say a baseball team is so obsessed with what I'm writing that it would resort to using Bush-like tactics against me? Is that why Hawk Harrelson is always drooling over his flower shirt to say something about me 10 times every telecast -- because he's being told to follow the Dubya handbook? The CJR piece lists me and Jason Whitlock of the Kansas City Star among organized targets.

I'm asking for a raise. I had no idea I was this important.

I also had no idea the Sox were so petty and devious. Actually, I did have an idea, but between covering major stories involving the Cubs and Bears, starting this perpetual Web column, writing my regular column for the paper, doing five ESPN shows a week and making plans to cover the Beijing Olympics, I kind of forgot the Sox were still around.

Of course, fans are smart enough to see through any silly Sox-paganda attempts. The franchise should stop worrying about the media and try to dig out of its monstrous hole since July 2, 2006, a period in which the Sox have gone 105-133 and fallen back into their irrelevant two-hole on the local baseball food chain.

I have no clue what he is talking about. Can someone in the know fill us in?

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Let me take shot at this: maybe Jay's hard-on for Ozzie is too much for him to handle.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Well played, buck.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

So I was watching a video of Wilbon and Kornheiser on Washington Post's web site, PTI light you could call it with the Post's Sports editor, where Wilbon was commenting on the wasted ink on Floyd Landis, saying some of the best advice he ever got was in not wasting ink on someone who's very small.
    Does the same apply to blogging and message board commenting?
    There's no ink, of course, but the attention given to someone like Mariotti should be very little IMO.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm so torn on this. As a Cubs fanboy looser, I'm obligated to hate the White Sox. But I've made no effort to hide how much I loathe Mariotti. DAMMIT! Can't they both lose in some way?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Daily....

But there is no smear campaign against Jay other than when he puts his fingers to the keyboard....

7. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

The cubs and Mariotti are Whack!

8. Sportsbruh, could you give us your rules for capitalization?

9. Why? do You Need heLp wiTh thAt?

Draft saved Draft deleted