1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Leno's last "Tonight" is tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, May 29, 2009.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Conan's old people focus group does look hilarious.

It was a brilliant idea when the 'Daily Show' did it several times last year.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's not exactly an original idea by the Daily Show.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was never a big Leno fan, and the Dancing Itos was the last straw for me. I always thought it would be fascinating to see Leno sit in a room with Fred Goldman and try to explain why he thought the Dancing Itos were funny. Probably haven't watched a total of 5 minutes of the "Tonight Show" since then.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

So which show did the original old people's focus group?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Will he have Freddie the Freeloader?

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Jay's interviews with Stupid people on the street has actually made being stupid an art.

I am sitting here though watching the last show online (next-to-last) just for the history of it. I remember watching Johnny his final week and it was depressing as hell. I still miss him.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

“I’m going to a secluded location where no one can find me: NBC’s prime time.”

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just got done watching the finale - it was pure Leno. The guy is a major mensch. Hard not to like the guy. Read an article today where he felt embarrassed after his salary was published and he told his staff if they ever needed anything (money wise) to come to him first. The guy is extremely generous. He'll never be "the hip guy," but it's nice to see a decent guy who treats people well have some success in this world.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Have you seen the skits on Leno? Even the two-minute deals are awkwardly drawn-out.

It isn't going to work at 10. Dilutes the guest list for Conan and I don't think they can make two hourlong late-night shows work with the level of guests you need at 10 and 11:30. Give it two months, the ratings will be significantly lower than the old shows at 10 and it'll be over.

Very excited about Conan.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i was shocked at the difference in conan when he 1st appeared on leno and last night. he looks like he's had some cosmetic surgery done and it didn't turn out well. wouldn't really have noticed unless they played the 1st clip last night but he looks plastic now.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Here's the thing with Jay's new show: even if his ratings are decent, even if they're close to what he got when he was on at 11p.m., it's not going to be enough. At best, his Tonight Show averaged what? One million viewers a night? Maybe two million if the guest was popular? Those numbers won't cut it at 10 p.m. Not when he's going up against other primetime shows.

I'm sure he'll find a reason to go peacefully but I'd be very, very surprised if we're not back here in two years talking about Jay vs. Conan head-to-head on Fox vs. NBC.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Just watched it, and what a pitch-perfect ending. I was never a Dave guy, and I never will be - his comedy just does not do it for me - and neither was my mother. She watched Jay, so I watched Jay, before I was old enough to commandeer the remote and just turn on Sportscenter.

Haven't watched him in probably 10 years, but I definitely got emotional at the ending. Solid effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted