1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Leno's last "Tonight" is tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, May 29, 2009.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Of course, he's going to be on in prime time.

Various threads have already dissected the "Jay sucks" thing, but I'm curious -- have you ever watched a Jay Leno tonight show from beginning to end?

I can't remember the last time I watched any talk show -- Leno, Letterman, Kimmel, whatever -- from monologue to closing guest/musical act.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

The only thing I'll miss is Monday Night Headlines. As cheesey as that segment is, I love it. The last time I watched the Tonight Show from start to finish was Johnny's last show.

I have repeatedly watched Dave, Conan and Craig Ferguson from start to finish, tho.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

And Conan is expected to be Jay's final guest on the show tonight, too!

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Never watched any late-night talk show from start to finish. Just monologue, headlines, occasionally a musical act or a guest.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can remember watching some from beginning to end, but never Leno

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Aside from the Hugh Grant appearance, I can't really say any Leno show was memorable.
    I can think of at least 5 Lettermans, Conans, and Kimmels.
    Triumph the Dog, Drew Barrymore, Cher, I (doing) Matt Damon/Ben Affleck, Letterman's post-heart surgery and 9/11 shows, Joaquin Phoenix.

7. Castaway

Castaway New Member

Jay doesn't "suck" but you'd think he'd be better at asking interesting questions after a million years doing so.

It's hard to make a big deal of the Tonight Show ending when he's going to be doing the exact same show an hour and a half earlier.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I didn't think it was the same show at all. Am I wrong? I thought it was going to be more topical, newsy, rather than sit-down interviews. I'm probably wrong.

Doesn't matter, I won't watch it anyway. :D

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

You know, I'm going to be pilloried for this, but I've been catching some more of Fallon... and he's not insufferable. Still absolutely gushes over his guests like a 12yo boy, but sometimes it actually works. Depends on the guest, really.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

The new Leno show supposedly won't have a desk (I'll believe that when I see it) and the plan right now is to not have a musical guest in the final segment, so they're at least going to be trying to make this seem like something different and new.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

leno's last show is 17 years late.

and killick, you should feel shame.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd dump the desk and the couch. Open with a monologue, do an outside the studio comedy bit, have guest on, or maybe interview the guest of the night at a different setting (Jay drives "big star" to work), musical guest, finish it off with an in-studio stunt with a guest not named until they walk out. Bring out a stand-up comic who has to make a big celeb laugh or the audience wins a prize.

Draft saved Draft deleted