1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Carney resigns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, May 30, 2014.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jay Carney took over after Obama had already been president for two years, and pretty well fit the mold of just about every recent press secretary regardless of party. It's a young person's position. More seasoned political figures have no need for the bullshit the job entails.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obama should have hired somebody like Ron Ziegler or even Rahm as his primary WH spokesman -- a guy who exuded ruthless efficiency and a grown-up insistence on getting the job done by any means necessary.

Rahm's take-no-shit persona would have been better in the WH spokesman role.

Carney came off like a peevish juvenile constantly stamping his feet because he wasn't getting his way. If Rahm stamped his feet, he'd do it on your throat.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Robert Gibbs did an outstanding job as Obama's first press secretary. In no way did he project that they were in
    over their heads.

Gibbs departure and subsequent arrival of Carney was a huge loss for the administration.

It's a tough job made tougher if you are a smarmy douche bag.

4. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

These guys and gals realize that eventually, they need nose jobs if they stay in this job too long.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Gibbs was more palatable and more mature for the press secretary role but his tenure (Jan 2009-early 2011) was also a relatively "easy" time for the administration. Gibbs didn't really have any of the scandals of the past two years to answer to and he was also in the honeymoon period.

The pressure from the press to Gibbs was not even comparable to what Carney had to face from about the summer of 2011 to the present. That being said, Carney often appeared to be sent out there with little support from the administration as the sacrificial lamb.

Looking at those in the position the last 20 years or so, I always thought Dana Perino, Tony Snow and Joe Lockhart did the best work -- especially amid the various scandals and unpopularity of their bosses.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gibbs just seemed to have a likable manner.

Always thought that Marlin Fitzwater did a good job as Reagan's final PS and then in
    his 4 years working for Bush sr

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Fitzwater might have been the best press secretary in the modern era. In the Reagan Administration, he succeeded Larry (?first name?) Speakes, who was the worst press secretary ever.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Carney is the only one I remember being memorably bad on a regular basis in the last 20+ years, or basically, everyone since Fitzwater. I'm sure the others have had their moments, but I don't think it's a reach to say Carney was the worst during that time period.

I thought Gibbs did a good job.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Guess you never had to get a straight answer to a simple question from him. He was incapable of a yes or no answer.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Carney left at the perfect time.

No questions for him to deal with about Bob Bergdahl.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Scandals? C'mon, man. ... It's the Tea Party trying to make hay again.

Because of the Butthurt.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I agree Fitzwater was very good but if Ike is considered "modern" era, I'd go with Hagerty as the best.

Speakes and Carney sort of remind me of each other what with their adversarial tactics.

Draft saved Draft deleted