1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaws

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jeff_Rake, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Re: SHUT UP KORNHEISER

Exactly. "Write this down, this will come back to haunt them!" ::)

2. Grohl

Grohl Guest

Just have Barkley call the game by himself. He's funnier than Kornheiser and offers better analysis than Theismann.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I think they were trying to get Barkley out of there so ESPN execs didn't just fire Kornheiser and Theismann at halftime and hire the Chuckster instead. He's money.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I heard a rumor that Kornheiser was shocked, SHOCKED that the Cardinals were beating the Bears. Funny, he barely mentioned it during the broadcast.

And thank you Bears (did I just say that?) for making Thiesmann (and Denny Green) look even stupider than fuck than he (they) already is (are) with the comeback.

Thiesmann's assertion that the Cardinals were smart for throwing the ball in the third and fourth quarters, despite the fact that the Cardinals' offense was slowing down is genius analysis considering that the Cardinals needed to do whatever they needed to do to limit possessions.

I'll score one for Kornheiser there for calling him on it, but I wonder whether his motivation in calling him on it had less to do with his intuitive feel for strategem and more to do with sticking it to Pegleg Joe. Either way is fine with me, mind you.

C'mon Cardinals, make this the best of both worlds, complete a comeback of your own AND humiliate the Bears AND expose Thiesmann and Denny "Take A Knee With One Of The Greatest Offenses Of All Time" Green once again for the dumb asses they are.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I would like for Kornheiser to follow up his statement to the Chuckster.

Barkley wasn't happy the Cardinals were going for a field goal at the end of the first half. Muttering and said, "20 points will not be enough to win this game."

And Kornheiser was shocked and said close to, "If that happens, we'll invite you back here and you can stay in the booth forever."

Please, ESPN, do it. Barkley, as usual, was great in the interview. Put him on there full time and get rid of these guys.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

But Tony did call Joe out on a few calls, the "run out the clock" vs. passing the ball theory in the 4th quarter.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'll opt not to, but thanks anyway.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

He nailed that one.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

ESPN’s production of Monday Night Football is truly godawful. I’ve yet to sit thru a complete telecast, but it’s very hard to stomach.

Tirico, and Theismann give you about what you expect. Heck, give them credit, at least they are talking football. Tirico adds a lot of enthusiasm, I like that.

The interviews are a show killer. Charles Barkley is the best interview in the world. It doesn’t get any better than that. And it’s still bad. I want to watch a football game, not an interview. Steve McNair from his living room adds nothing to the telecast of a game. Stop it.

Halftime is a complete waste of airtime. With the Cards up 20-0, and the halftime crew has three former all pros, what do they spend the first two minutes talking about? Who “picked” the Cards. Nobody cares, folks. Nobody freaking cares. Oh, but there’s lots of that bombastic laughing. Over nothing that remotely approaches “funny”. The 2006 edition of Chris Berman is a legitimate on-air abortion, there’s just no use wasting another keystroke discussing him.

But now, at least some halftime highlights. Or so you’d think. But, no!! They’ve been “ESPN-ized”. Which means you get highlights featuring fuzzy focuses, and the dreadful, “speed-up the action to 4x regular speed”, then slow it down. So you have no clue of what just happened. Who sits around and thinks up ways to fuck up NFL highlights? ESPN does.

Halftime isn’t over. Now it’s to Lazy Eye to debut a Jay Z video. Thanks, that’s the reason the fast-forward button on my TIVO gets such a workout while on the ESPN networks.

Kornheiser just plain sucks. He’s a great guy at a cocktail party, I’m sure, but up in the broadcast booth, he’s a one-man Hindenburg. When the game is dull, he’s mute. When the game is thrilling, such as last night’s fourth quarter, he’s all over the place. Don’t tell us your sportswriter’s “storyline” to the game. We don’t care. It’s invariably simplistic, and many times, just plain wrong. Trust me. I read Bill Plaschke. I know “wrong”.

You’ve spent a decade telling us how little you don’t know about sports, Tony. So when you attempt to put things in perspective, like saying that “this would be the biggest upset in franchise history”, I know damn well you are pulling that straight out of your ass. Heck, I don’t know much about Cardinals football, but the Cardinals had a pretty big playoff upset in Dallas just a decade ago.

Just a really bad production. And I don’t care if it’s producing great ratings for the network. Laverne and Shirley was the #1 rated show in America a few decades ago. Quality television has no correlation to ratings. Shame on ESPN.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I agree last night's game might eclipse Falcons-Saints as the second most viewed cable telecast ever.

Hopefully someone will have the number this afternoon.

I think (think) the most viewed cable telecast ever was Perot-Gore NAFTA debate on Larry King Live in 1993.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Poindexter nailed it, point by point.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Someone tell Korny to wear a sportscoat that actually fits him. It makes him look like more of a skinny little runt than he already is.

Draft saved Draft deleted