1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaws on AMC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riddick, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

And I channel surfed just in time. Any minute now, I'll hear the best line of the entire movie, "we're gonna need a bigger boat."

2. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I see you brought your rubbers!

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

God, how I love this movie. Definitely a top 5 film of all time. It's still amazing to think that when this came out, people literally became frightened of going in the ocean. They actually stayed away from the water for awhile. That's a powerful flick.

It also essentially invented the summer blockbuster, for better or worse. This was truly a historic film.

My favorite line? Just before the bigger boat line, Brody, as he continues slopping chum in the water, says, "Slow ahead? I can go slow ahead, come down here and chum some of this shit!"

Oh, and interesting bit of trivia: Roy Scheider ad libbed that line about needing a bigger boat.

4. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

great, great movie. it amazes me how well it holds up.

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women!

One of my all-time favorites.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

it also fits the other thread on movies that spawned shitty sequels. The second one was ok, but III and IV were so bad I'd rather watch back-to-back episodes of Charmed or Gilmore Girls.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Needing a bigger boat is a great line, but the scene where they compare scars is just as good

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In terms of scenes, that's probably my favorite in the movie. Quint's tale of the U.S.S. Indianapolis is riveting.

Needing a bigger boat was a great line though.

9. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

The fact that the shark was so crappy was what helped make the movie so good. Spielberg had to limit his shots of the shark, so instead there's a lot of buildup to the attacks, which was very riveting and suspenseful [and of course the shark's 'theme music' became quite famous]. Today, it would be some bad CGI shark that wouldn't scare anyone anyway.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And it spawned one of SNL's greatest skits.

[​IMG]

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted