1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Whitlock's letter to Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 26, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

By the time that happens, I'll probably be pushing papers at the Post Office.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

You can't really be surprised over that, can you?

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I still don't really mean it.

I REALLY still don't think that that crazy-ass septuagenarian can win.... but I can't believe that Obama is becoming this vulnerable this quickly.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My point was this: it should have run in the news section. Or the op-ed page. If that was a sports column, it was a terrible mistake.

Not that he had no right to write it. But it had no right to appear in the sports section.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Bill Clinton was in much worse shape during the '92 primary season, and it was because of things he actually did, not something someone associated with him said.

Obama is actually fortunate that it's coming out so early. By June or July, people will be sick of hearing about it.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

There's no way McCain loses this.

I hope I'm wrong. Believe me. But he's winning.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

But the comment that started this was "Why the fuck do I care what a sportwriter has to say about politics?" That statement has nothing to do with what section it ran in. That line of reasoning started with Doc. And it's a valid point for the publication of the column. But not germane to the issue I was addressing.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I hate to type this but there are sometimes I must ask, ""Why the fuck do I care what some sportwriters have to say about sports?"

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I honestly don't care what Whitlock chooses to write about. But if it ran in sports, it was a terrible move on the Star's part. That was my only point. I also hated the column, but that goes to personal taste, so who cares?

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I would give Jason wide latitude here. He is a superstar columnist after all. Basically, he's a race columnist, not a sports columnist, even if his stuff runs in the sports section. Whitlock is the polar opposite of JoePo; I'm not aware of anyone ever crediting Jason with being an insightful sports analyst or brilliant narrator in the never-ending saga of team vs. team.

Has any Whitlock column ever been linked here that didn't have to do with race?

Given who he is and how he has carved out his niche in the industry, I think it's a perfectly reasonable topic for him to tackle. To be honest, he's a little late on this though -- Jason, your pal Loopy wrote about Obama's speech the day it happened. I also agree completely with f-town; the column just doesn't work.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There is no way this column should have run in sports. Like IJAG said, it should only have run in news or op-ed.

I do wonder how the Star's sports editors feel about Whitlock writing political columns, pieces for FoxSports.com plus whatever TV and radio segments he has on his plate. When does it become too much? When does he, like Lupica before him, is stretched too thin and begins to mail in his copy for the Star's sports section?

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Obama said it better than Jason. That is all.

Draft saved Draft deleted