1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Whitlock vs. Maria Taylor and Katie Nolan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Back in the day here when I mentioned that I hadn’t watched the show, he told me when Amazon was running a Gold Box special and said that if I couldn’t afford it, he would send it to me. He was good banter here and especially I liked arguing about The Sopranos with him.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder about how in tune Whitlock is about the news because the context of the name "Karen" isn't what he said it is.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Whitlock's two columns were a waste of space because sports electronic journalism has been using looks as more of a basis for job advancement than actual sports knowledge since Phyllis George. He sound like he just discovered this fact. Oddly enough, if male sports fans didn't droll over these women, the networks wouldn't have gone in that direction.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Actually, it's Jemele Hill who's doing "Down in the Hole", the podcast breaking down The Wire episode by episode. It's damn good, BTW.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I nearly wrote this post. I would have referenced Jason on "The Sports Reporters" back in the day, and certainly would have made the "lost something off his fastball" reference, but other than that...

Gallagher may be predictable, but Sledge-A-Matic still makes me laugh even if I can quote it in unison with him as he says "Just place it between the patented pans..."

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

So soon they forget Frank Gifford?

It was much commented upon in the early Sixties that he got his broadcasting gigs not so much for his football brilliance with the Giants (he was an ok but not great player) but his glamor boy good looks.

(Of course later in his career with MNF and other vehicles, Gifford became known as the dependable professional PbP guy.)

When the visual medium of teevee arrived, it was inevitable that people perceived to be attractive would have advantages. It is what it is.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In the '70s, there was an attempt to make Don Meredith a TV action hero. Played cop leads in several different episodes of "Police Story." He had the gift of gab, but his looks were also a factor in his career. Certainly more Tom Brookshier's.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    “Jason Whitlock is a fat tub of goo.”

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Whitlock gave as good as he got. At least he came here to fight it out.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Damn, it must be liberating to write sentences such as this, from the Deadspint story:

"Even though Whitlock did work at ESPN for years. Whitlock wants to discredit anything Taylor or any woman accomplishes at ESPN by merely labeling it a beauty contest, mostly because he got himself shit-canned from ESPN for being a fuckwad."

And this, the lead from the Root:

"I’m a big believer in protecting my energy, so to that end, Jason Whitlock doesn’t exist in my universe. At all. However, far too often, Jason Whitlock Jason Whitlocks—and try as I may ignore his unique brand of clownery, I’m left with no choice but to acknowledge his Negro nonsense."

12. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Well, now it must be revealed:

I am Jason Whitlock!

Draft saved Draft deleted