1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Whitlock really ticks me off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by budcrew08, Mar 19, 2009.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Hero worship.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Anonymous hero worship.

The best kind.

3. clutchcargo

OK--put your real name and one of your columns on here, and let some of the other folks have a go at it. I assume you get paid for your work, too, maybe not as much as JW, but you're still fair game, right?

I'm waiting.

By the way, your song "Running Down a Dream" is one of my top 10 all-time. I'm serious.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Clutch,

Why is it hero worship? I simply asked if his lede makes him come off as pompous to the reader. I thought it did. He's a public figure, just based on his status working for a major metro as a columnist... So obviously his work may be more closely critiqued just based on the fact that it's all over the place (on foxsports.com, etc.)

Please explain what part of my statement was hero worship.

Re: Column

I've written a few columns, and they are OK, but they aren't on foxsports or ESPN or whatever, see what I'm saying?

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

No, they sit in the dugout and pick their teammates swings and mannerisms and love life apart. Dugouts are like fricking sewing circles, to borrow an outdated saying.

I don't see the smallest problem with the topic, though I would agree that if it wasn't Whitlock or some other envied/despised figure in the business, it probably would not inspire the start of a thread.

6. clutchcargo

The night is young.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes. i've always thrown down a little worship at the foot of the fat man.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Brian,
    I don't particularly envy or despise him, even though some board members aren't big fans of his. I was just trying to bring up a point on a column.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i am fair game. and when i write something stupid enough to be mocked, have right at it.

BTW, you have a recent column we should read?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I liked it other than A) it's HDTV and B) placing any creedence to Bill Simmons.
    He hit the Ball State reference on the head -- wasn't gratutious, I knew which teams he was talking about. They did have the shit.

And lest I be accused of anonymous hero worship, Whitlock knows when I do and don't like his stuff and where to find me.

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Tom,
    you and I have had minor spats in the past, but I'm with you on this one. Clutch, I've written a couple NASCAR columns recently, and if you want me to post them so you can rip on them or whatever, that's cool.

12. clutchcargo

OK, I can't wait any longer. Hatred of Democrats? Not really--it's more a matter of simply not understanding liberals. They want George W. Bush tried for war crimes, but want to let blood-thirsty terrorists go scot-free. Now that makes a lot of sense.

Oops, sorry, got off track here. Forgot where I am. Journalism Topics?? Uh, well, that Whitlock guy is really a pompous ass. How's that. Am I back in the fold now?

Draft saved Draft deleted