1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Whitlock leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Oct 5, 2015.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

In those emails, texts and phone calls to Whitlock, Greg Howard comes off looking like a pussy, a scumbag and a pawn of his Deadspin editors, a rare trifecta. He claims his editors made him put in a reference to the n-word into a story. Would be interested to see a rebuttal to this all from Howard, or whoever writes his pieces for Deadspin.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still reading but this popped out ...

"When I landed The Undefeated project in August of 2013, I pegged Howard as the type of young, unseasoned black journalist the site could develop."

You know, Jason, couldn't Howard have just been the type of young, unseasoned black journalist the site could develop instead of a young, unseasoned black journalist?

3. Songbird

I fucking HATE the new use of marinated.

"I was confused and disappointed. I marinated."

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Since it was (is?) a site geared to feature black journalists, no.

5. Songbird

This is going to be the spinoff to Empire. You've already got the main characters.

6. Songbird

I get that it is/was/going to be/coulda been a contenda! site geared to feature black journalists.

Journalism has no color. You're a journalist. Who happens to journal for a site geared toward black culture.

I don't know, it just reads contrived.

7. Songbird

But this piece was much better than yesterday's. At least he presented a story. With off-the-record dirt!

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It reminds me of something Tim McKyer once told me. When he had said he was dumped by Carolina because of a "personal vendetta," I asked him, "Isn't that what you said about San Francisco and Atlanta and Miami?"

He paused and said, "Personal vendettas seem to follow me around."

Alma and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not sure why that popped out. You realize the site's primary target audience was was the black market, right? Hardly surprising that the boss of site being billed as the "black Grantland" would be looking harder for black writers.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Mike Wise, yo.

JackReacher likes this.
  11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Did a man who wears a fedora and quotes The Wire constantly really call someone else a hipster?

12. Songbird

White hipster!

Draft saved Draft deleted