1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Reid named sports columnist at WaPo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Insider, Jan 12, 2011.

1. http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/114462/jason-reid-named-washington-post-sports-columnist/

Wow ...

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Why a "Wow"? This move couldn't surprise me less. I should add, it was the right move to make. He's very, very talented.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great hire.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jason is awesome. Very happy for him. Someone who can write really well, and back it up with great reporting. He'll be excellent.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I say this as no slam against Tracee Hamilton, but her stuff just doesn't inspire me. (That's not to say she's a bad writer.) And Wise is a clown.

He's the third columnist in that rotation, and he hasn't written a thing.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I loved the way he handled his incident with Milton Bradley. Excellent move by the Post. Good luck Jason.

7. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Love Jason. Very deserving, very kind, very funny. Great digger. Must agree with DD here, this move is going to result in some very substantive, compelling, well-reported columns.

8. AD

AD Active Member

got to disagree on wise. forget the recent dopey twitter flap; his is only the most extreme example of old-line media wrestling with a rapidly shifting world.

but his donald brashear piece -- though not a column -- was one of best stories written over the last few years, anywhere.

hardly the work of a clown.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fair enough, the Brashear piece was stellar. But his columns often are contrarian for the sake of it and he makes Woody Paige's ATH persona seem like a Mensa member, based on Wise's radio show antics.

10. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I got to know Jason Reid a little bit when he covered the Dodgers. Not only is he a good guy, but he's a dogged reporter and hard worker. He very much deserves this gig and I'm sure he'll do a fantastic job.

11. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I agree with everyone who says Reid does a great job. Will he replace Wilbon in writing the social-issue columns?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Wise is ridiculously stupid on his show. That said, his columns are second-best at the Post behind Boswell's, though Jenkins can bring it when she's inspired.

I'd put Reid fourth for now. Hamilton comes across as "sports columns for the casual fan."

Draft saved Draft deleted