1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason King story on Roy Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Apr 3, 2008.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

2. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Agreed, D3. Good story.

Kind of a weird situation, isn't it, to be so vocal and open about your hopes for a school that isn't your own?

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Good work

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nice work.

And those Kansas fans that still want to push Roy in the water need to get over it. Now.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't think guys like Nick Saban care nearly as much about what people think about his character after he leaves a job as Williams does. To think that Jayhawks fans seem to put Williams in that sort of category is amazing.

6. Sam Mills 51

They're too busy worrying about themselves to ever think of anyone else, ondeadline. That's the primary trouble.

As for Nick Saban, he's about nothing but a paycheck. Sure, many of us go for the money - it IS is a capitalist society - but Saban would go work for any evil empire on Earth if it meant more money. Skilled but heartless.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm all for guys being open and accessible, but if I was (still) a UNC fan, I'd be plenty concerned that the Heels' head coach is more concerned with making nice with Jayhawk Nation rather than, you know, WINNING TWO MORE GAMES.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It ain't easy to forget someone who was part of your life for 15 years.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

KY, I'm not coming back to you. I told you that. Get over me. :D

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I didn't get that vibe at all, Hacky.

I took out of it that the Jayhawks fans hatred of Williams wears on him. In his 15 years at Kansas, they experienced a phenomenal amount of success. The only thing they didn't accomplish in his tenure was win a National Championship. And for them to treat him so terribly is bunk.

11. Sam Mills 51

I get that, BYH. But that wasn't the crux of Jason King's story.

Leave it to the daily publications and websites. There will plenty of those stories. Smile that Roy and some of his closest friends and players gave King some time to make this story pretty good.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Sam, I'm kind of on the fence with it because I see it both ways. I agree with you on how much hatred Jayhawks fans still have towards Roy. I've been thinking about how much the fans sided with Roy and pledged alliegence to him. From Terry Allen being canned before the end of the season, to dealing with Al Bohl, UNC asking him not once, but twice to come back, and then the "I don't give a shit about North Carolina" fiasco.

After UNC made that first overture to him, it should have been apparent to KU fans that he was going to leave sooner or later...back to Chapel Hill. I can only assume but the "don't give a shit" comment must have given KU fans some hope that he would say no to Dean Smith for a second time.

The other side of the fence for me is this: why is Roy so worried about what KU fans think of him, five years later? The last thing on his mind is to be reading what KU fans' opinion of him is. I have felt that Roy has a bad habit of wanting "to be loved" by everyone. The bitter side of me wants to call him a big-ass baby because he doesn't understand why the citizens of Kansas wants to kick his ass on Saturday; but he should take his own advice and say to himself this: "I don't give a shit about Kansas. Nothing personal, I enjoyed my time there, but I'm the coach of North Carolina and I bleed Carolina blue."

The incessant wunderlust he has for Kansas would make those in North Carolina look at him with some disdain.

That was the angle I got out of it. Let the papers, the fans, and pundits do what they do best. Roy needs to disconnect himself from having Joe Holladay, his friends, and others tell him what KU nation thinks.

Draft saved Draft deleted