1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Kidd calls it a career

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 3, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I thought the NBA ruled the player-coach out of existence. Otherwise why not just put Kobe or LeBron on the coaching staff and pay them 20 million to coach and 1 million to play?

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Didn't read the articles but the speculation was his lead assistant will be Lawrence Frank.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's interesting that it at least seems like the majority of recent former players coaching in the NBA are former point guards. It seems like it's the same way with catchers in baseball.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I think Nate McMillan was hired as an assistant pretty soon after he retired.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dunleavy served as an assistant for several years between 1985 and 1989, when he returned to playing briefly, before getting his first head coaching job the season after his final season as a player (in which he played all of five games).

Nelson was hired as the Bucks' interim coach 18 games into the 1976-77 season, his first after retiring as a player.

Plenty of players get hired as assistants immediately after retirement. This is unique.

6. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

What's not being talked about at all is Jason Kidd faces up to a year in prison for his DUI arrest. It'll be hard to coach from a jail cell.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ever heard of work release?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So no Byron Scott then? That would have been cute.

As for Deron Williams, I don't know why the Nets' new owner doesn't just threaten to break his kneecaps and cut off his balls if he doesn't play better. That's how a true oligarch does it.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

that was awesome.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's because he always blew kisses to the wife he used to beat.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Then why not hire Lawrence Frank as the head coach? I'm kidding. I think. That's an OK hire, but he's going to need at least one other really good tactical guy. He needs to do what Bird did.

I'm spitballing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays in at least a handful of games before the end of next season.

12. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Was he better at driving into trees while drunk, beating his wives or playing basketball? I guess since you're so familiar with his ballsack, you can truly give us the lowdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted