1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Cole joining Yahoo Sports

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mmmm_Donuts, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Why would Cole have been out there then? Makes no sense.

Unless he was talking to Dave Morgan.

2. I'm assuming the Herald flew him out there to do the story. For the same reason Robinson and Mullen were out there.

3. Old habit. And yeah, King's MMQB is a must read....well, the first 40 inches of it, anyway.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"well, the first 40 inches of it, anyway."

I've now trained myself to read over any paragraphs that include the words "Barista" or "Laura." Cuts the reading time in half. I kid, but I'll read PK on the NFL before anybody else.

5. Running Bear

Running Bear Member

Getting back to Jason, I bet the Dolphins are happy to see him go. He broke a number of stories on that beat.

Outside of Pickle_Juice, anyone know of any serious candidates to replace him?

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Mizzou's already got his "effin stud of the moment" picked out. See above. ;D

7. The time he wrote about having his colon scoped had to be the lowest moment in MMQB history.

8. SaraMurphy

SaraMurphy Member

Not true, but they did a great job. Out here in Socal, I heard there were a few on the story for a while before yahoo posted it - Miami, yahoo, San Diego, Sports biz. I heard Miami and San Diego held on it because they couldn't use unnamed sources. Yahoo wasn't held back by this and posted it. More power to them for it. good story.
    After that I don't think they broke anything but that's not a knock on them at all.
    I know too many USC fans and have been following all the stories.
    Congrats to Cole.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

As a Phin fan, it's a huge loss but I am happy for him.
    14 years on a NFL beat is a killer.
    He's a good guy, and I was lucky to have dinner with him on a road trip, a credit to the profession.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"It's a fascinating modus operandi, pimping one's buddies on an Internet message board."

I could Google it to make sure, but I can't imagine the words "operandi" and "pimping" have been placed next to each other but so often in the history of mankind. Well done.

11. According to several people in the agent community, Robinson and Cole were the first to start sniffing around on it - going all the way back to February. Mullen caught wind of it later, but had begun working on it before the story broke. I don't think Miami held it because of unnamed sources...because Cole and other Herald writers have used unnamed sources in stories before. And I know for a fact that San Diego didn't hold anything. They had no idea about this story until it broke - then started scrambling. And I got that info from Jim Trotter.

As for Yahoo "owning" it, that's not accurate. They broke three major things....the first day stuff, the fact that reggie's parents got upward of 100,000, and the fact that the cash funded the family's trips to away games. All the other details were broken by a variety of outlets....San Diego, the LAT, and a little bit from ESPN.

I should know - I'm a USC alum who read it all and hated every bit of it.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Agreed. I visit Yahoo 10 times for every one time I visit espn.com. It's much easier find something out quickly from Yahoo; ESPN feels like a visual assault.

Draft saved Draft deleted