1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jared Loughner Ruled Incompetent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 25, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Judge decides Loughner is mentally incompetent to stand trial for the mass shooting in Tucson. Probably accurate, but seems so wrong.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/05/suspect-in-ariz-shooting-carried-from-courtroom-after-outburst-/1

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Can we just execute him now?

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Score another one for our "justice system."

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What "justice" would we be not implementing against someone who doesn't even understand what he did?

5. Mizzougrad96

It sounds like Dick is volunteering that his neighborhood would be the perfect place for Loughner to wind up if he gets out of prison.

6. Dick Whitman

He is going to spend the rest of his life in a mental institution.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

How do you know he's insane -- crazy-as-a-shithouse-rat insane? Because he's an idiot?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He won't get out of prison (a locked mental facility), he just won't get a trial.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, there is the fact that two experts -- one from the prosecution, one from the defense -- examined him and agreed he's not mentally competent.

Or there are the various acquaintances who say in the last couple of year the guy slipped into certifiably batshit insane.

10. Dick Whitman

I don't know. I'm not the psychiatrist who evaluated him or the federal judge who made the determination. Both of them are eminently more qualified than any of us.

That doesn't mean that we can't have an opinion, of course. Or that they could be wrong and we could be right.

But I'm interested here in further sussing out the opinion of you two.

Do you think that nobody who commits a heinous crime should be found unfit to stand trial?

Or do you think that Loughner in particular is not unfit for trial, based upon what you've read and heard?

I can accept the latter. Not so much the former.

11. Mizzougrad96

I vote they shoot the fucker. :D

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He'll be re-assessed in four months.

Draft saved Draft deleted