1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jan. 5 Bowl Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Voters who admit they don't watch all the teams. Great. Teams that "have to" murder every opponent, not just win, because of the unfounded opinions of others.
    It's a swell system. It's a perfect paradigm of the dark side of American sports. Money and power rule, and honest competition is for suckers.
    On tonight's tilt, it would be nice to see the poor Buckeyes not get vaporized, but I don't expect much. Of course, Texas' defense ain't exactly the '85 Bears.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'd settle for a good game that's worth watching into the fourth quarter. Expectations being what they are now, every team is ultimately a fraud.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yet a win would be a big step toward retribution for the Big 11 and OSU

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Please, somebody, please, set up a Jan. 6 bowl thread for the GMAC bowl manana.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I figure if we had a Jan. 3 one for the epic UConn-Buffalo matchup, we'll have one tomorrow.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

From Wetzel's column
    And, umm, does Wetzel realize that six years later BYU was named the national champion by being No. 1 in both the AP and coaches polls?
    Hard to make the argument that football outside the Pac-10 hasn't mattered in 30 years when one of the teams has a national championship in that same time period.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I can't do that.

I know I should, for the benefit of the conference. But I just can't.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm so tired of this argument.

These guys are competitors. They get paid to win, in a sense. If they don't have any desire to win, just because they aren't playing who they thought they should, then they were failures to begin with.

If they have competitive fire, they should want to win everything they play, no matter if it is the Cotton Bowl (which I guarantee was a big deal to athletes who play in Texas) or a fucking game of Uno.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You might be tired of it but it's an accurate argument. Smart betters have made a lot of money over the years on that theory.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

let it go, man. "they didn't care" is a lame-assed excuse and nothing more. take it for who it's coming from.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

your honor, i rest my case.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, that wasn't quite my point.

My point was this: If these guys are competitors, which we assume they are, then they should want to win every time out, whether they are playing a bowl game a random game against a terrible Big 12 South team or playing Rook with the in-laws.

That's my point.

Teams don't get a pass from me because "they didn't want to be there, because they deserved better."

Draft saved Draft deleted