1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jan. 3 bowl thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I noticed that too. Their team name is also one letter of from a certain pro team. They need their own identity.

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

This game is a Lorenzen pass from a Buffalo pick 6. If only they'd throw the damn ball.

EDIT: Why do I speak sometimes?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

To entertain us?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

To get to the other side?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize it isn't a "bowl game" - but its nice to see all the soldiers at the high school All-American game in San Antonio. I've got to think it's a nice opportunity to give the high school players a chance appreciate the choices their talent has given them and the sacrifices made on our behalf.
    Would also be nice if for every college declaration, there was a full-ride scholarship awarded to a soldier.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't. Buffalo was so bad that the program made Duke - DUKE! - look successful in football by comparison. And save for the too-short Steve Spurrier Era and a bowl in '94 under Fred Goldsmith, Duke has been a punchline since 1961.

Turner Gill has already proven plenty. But I'm with MU ... if Gill continues the success next season, there shouldn't be a shadow of a doubt and he will look wise for bypassing Syracuse and a couple of others.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

"Bulls" has been the nickname of the UB teams since 1931 -- well before the AAFC Bills, much less the current version. They actually used a red-white-and-royal color scheme with the initials on a white helmet throughout the '80s and early '90s:
    [​IMG]
    When former Penn State o-line coach Craig Cirbus took over the program in 1995, he adopted their plain navy-and-white look to get away from the Bills' design, because the logo was the only way to tell the two apart before the NFL team switched to red helmets in 1984.

According to the Helmet Project, the source of the above image, Kentucky didn't put the UK logo on theirs until 1997. I haven't seen too many Wildcat football fans in western New York, so I'm going to guess that Warde Manuel doesn't think the similarity is a problem.

Back to the game: disappointing to let the score get out of hand like that, but it's still a significant building block in the program's development.

8. It also would be nice if we could have had a real, no-shit GI Bill without caterwauling from either legislators or taxpayers.
    Tell you the truth, I'm not sure how I feel about a four-hour Army infomercial aimed at teenagers.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That is ridiculous.

Brady Hoke in year three at Ball State was 4-7 -- he didn't have his first winning season until year five -- he went 7-6 and got smoked in the international bowl. And in year six he won 12 games --- and he is leaving without ever having won the Mid-American Conference.

So let's review -- six years at Ball State, only two of them with a winning record, no conference titles.

Turner Gill three years at Buffalo -- which was regarded as the worst program in the country when he arrived -- one winning season and one MAC title -- oh yeah, did we mention that one MAC title came against Hoke and Ball State?

Hoke might be a good coach, there is no way you could objectively or even subjectively claim he is a better coach than Gill is.

And whoever said it is right -- Auburn was not a good fit for him, I'm glad Syracuse thumbed their nose at him because that is a grave yard, so it isn't the worst thing that he didn't move up this year but his living with an address in Buffalo should end at this time next year.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Great story from there: Xavier Nixon, a stud lineman recruit from my hometown of Fayetteville, N.C., home of Fort Bragg, has both parents serving in Iraq right now, and I understand they are both at the game.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know FB - if I'm sitting there and I see an injured guy in a military uniform, and a football player playing three card monte with LSU, Florida and Florida State, I'm thinking I might want to bust my ass to get into college. And you're right about Nixon, great story. Anyone know if they took the players to the Intrepid Center?
    I think the Army creating a video game to lure recruits is more disturbing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He'd start at most Pac-10 schools

Draft saved Draft deleted