1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jamie Moyer, HOFer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, but Don Drysdale was on the Brady Bunch... :)

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I don't care if he wins 300, he shouldn't get in.

He would be the worst player in Cooperstown by a country fucking mile.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's kind of out of favor. WARP is the new, similar, in-favor stat, and according to baseball reference, Jamie Moyer has a career WARP of 48.1, good for 83rd all-time among pitchers.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well if you judge by wins, I guess Strasburg hasn't pitched very well in his last few starts

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Conlin's argument that Moyer has 11.2 wins a season, and Nolan Ryan had 12, is absurd.

Ryan also had 5,700 strikeouts. And 7 no-hitters.

If Moyer somehow gets to 300 wins, his only Hall of Fame argument would be a statistic that most people with a clue view as irrelevant anyway.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'm more impressed by a pitcher who was one of the best 3-5 in the game for a 5-7 year span than I am by a guy who consistenly won 12-15 games over a very long career.

That said, winning 300 is far more impressive than most of the other hitting milestones that were once considered benchmarks for making the Hall.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I think being the all-time leader in no-hitters and strikeouts puts quite a bit of distance between Ryan and Moyer. :)

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He holds the all time record for wins in a season at 41. In the list of records that will never be broken, this is at the top as starters don't even get that many starts in a season now.

Maybe he doesn't belong in the Hall, but his winning percentage was .600 and I think it's a way to remember & recognize guys that might be forgotten by history if they weren't inducted.

Maris & his 61 HRs are similar.

I wouldn't include a bum who had one good year, but a borderline guy who holds the all time single season record for home runs or wins? yeah, I include them.

That's what I'll always remember him for. Joe Namath too.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Can't say he was the worst, but in a strange sort of reverse argument, Addie Joss only played nine years before he ended up dying of meningitis. He was all set for his tenth year, and was going to start Cleveland's opener, when he came down with the disease and died quickly.

Joss won 20 games four times, and had a career record of 160-97, with an ERA of 1.89 (second best all time) and a WHIP of 0.97 (best ever). Cleveland was pretty good during that decade, with one second place finish and a couple of third place finishes.

But still, you wonder about what would have happened had Joss not get his disease. In his last season before getting sick, he had to shut it down in July with an elbow injury. Who knows if he would have come back strong, or just faded away and get remembered as a pretty good pitcher?

10. Mizzougrad96

http://www.sporcle.com/games/borkin515/HOFMoyer

Great game.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I made this point on the baseball thread when this came up, but it's worth repeating. The HOF voters, rightly or wrongly, seem to frown upon milestones reached via longevity. Look at poor Bert Blyleven. The guy has 287 wins and 3,700 strikeouts and he's not in Cooperstown because he had the good fortune to have a long career.
    Moyer falls into the same category, only moreso. He's never been better than a No. 2 or 3 pitcher, and others have pointed out his less-than-stellar stats outside of the win total. I'd love to see him pitch until he's 50. I'd love to see him get 300 wins. Depending on how the "Sunday starter" rule shakes out, he may have a chance to be an all-star this year which would be cool beyond belief.
    He's a great story. He is NOT a hall of famer.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Moyer was good in 2008 (16-7, 3.71 ERA). He was not very good last year (12-10, 4.94 ERA). His biggest contribution to last year's Series run was taking it like a man and not rocking the boat when Pedro bumped him out of the rotation.

Draft saved Draft deleted