1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

James Harrison must like being fined

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 13, 2011.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Goddamit, what's your deal? Don't you realize that Harrison fucked up his girlfriend because he's a devout Catholic and that bitch didn't want their child baptized. Yeah, that's it. Right...

2. I don't think the lockout matters. It is a temp. lockout. They are still employees of the Pittsburgh Steelers and members of the NFL.
    Players are still disciplined for off-season issues.
    Ward and Harrison will both be disciplined by the NFL.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

By the strict letter of the law, during a lockout there is no relationship between the owners and the players, the owners have essentially said the contracts are disavowed, ineffectual. That's why right now you hear about the players having no health insurance, etc. So Goddell has no authority to fine anyone and he cannot retroactively impose fines for things during the lockout. However, before Harrison gets too happy, Goddell is not an idiot and he'll find a reason to get retribution for these comments later, I'm sure.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Goodell should be a lot more concerned about regaining his status as a so-so commissioner as opposed to the "horseshit" label he is headed for. I know everyone loved him for puffing out his chest post-Vick. But he has been ineffectual during the lockout, he let the Patriots get away scot-free, his concussion response has been indecipherable, the player conduct policy is inconsistent, and, oh yeah, the cable companies kicked his ass up and down the field for two years on the NFL Network and the owners aren't reaping anywhere near the money they had been promised from that. The current prosperity owes to Tags' renewal of the TV contracts before his departure, not to anything Goodell has done since then.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm sure Roger Goodell doesn't give five shits about what Harrison says about him. Point is for Harrison, you can't keep headhunting people. That, to me, is the crux that Harrison can't seem to let go.

His ass will have to face the music in that locker room when they arrive for camp. If I'm Big Ben, I tell him that I'm not buying that bullshit "my comments were taken out of context" line. He meant what he said.

If it is true that he used a gay slur in attacking Goodell, or anyone for that matter, he better start packing his bags at the end of the season. Harrison just did Hines Ward a huge-ass favor by running his mouth.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This isn't about Goodell and nor do I care. Besides, how do you what his motives are? Are you doing an OTL piece on him by tracking him?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was referencing the post above mine; I guess I should have quoted it but it said Goodell will "find a reason to get retribution for these comments."

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not sure about the slur, but he did say that the league hands out bigger fines for hits on white quarterbacks than it does for hits on black quarterbacks. That could be an issue.

Roethlisberger already said he's taking Harrison at his word and they are fine.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

*Alleged* rapists don't have many friends. They need to be forgiving.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At what point is "athlete pops off" not news anymore? When Rocker had the SI thing it was kind of shocking, figure the guy is there to write a flattering profile but you end up killing your career with your own quotes.
    Now? I figure its just a guy trying to make a name for himself. The media wastes too much time on people like this.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So perennial Pro Bowler James Harrison is trying to make a name for himself?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't forget former league defensive player of the year and the guy who made one of the most memorable plays in Super Bowl history. Also a guy who was in the news plenty last year due to the fines from the league office.

Also, I think that is giving Harrison too much credit. He's just an angry human being with very little self control. Just ask the girlfriend who he smashed in the face with a cell phone.

I've said for a while that Roethlisberger might not even be the worst guy on that team because of Harrison. I stand by that.

Draft saved Draft deleted