1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jameis Winston in trouble? (This time for stealing crab legs?)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 13, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Jameis Winston in trouble?

Now this would be an extreme case of making him look good for the draft. From the Tallahassee Democrat:

The incident report describes the suspect as between 5 foot 9 and 5 foot 11 tall and 240 pounds. FSU athletics media guide lists Winston as 6 foot 4 and 218 pounds.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I doubt it will be a thing. All due respect to Dre and his friend - and fuck the asshole who raped her - but cops generally don't sit on hard evidence of rape for a year without doing anything. The long delay, combined with the fact that the subject is described as much smaller than Winston, makes me think there's no hard evidence on Winston. My guess is that some incompetent police officer leaked this without reviewing the evidence.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

No worries. I didn't think you were. My friend seemed to be dealing with a particularly incompetent police dept. and I'm guessing it usually doesn't take that long.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

But if that's true, then why bring it up now? You've swept it under the rug for this long, what's 6-7 more weeks?

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Because TMZ got wind of it?

You mean why they are reporting it? It could be as simple as because they're TMZ.

6. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Putting aside the seriousness of this, I will chuckle if Johnny Football wins a second Heisman by default because the guy ahead of him had "character concerns."

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Yes. Spot on.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Florida newspapers knew about this, and when.

We had a basketball player at the school I covered who had a rape/sexual assault investigation hanging over his head. His name was in the public record police reports, and every single person covering the team knew about it. It was discussed freely among us. But it was never reported because it was pretty much agreed that until an actual charge was filed, it was inhumane to basically ruin the kid's life over an accusation.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You say this like it's not standard operating procedure.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, I'm saying this like I think that it is.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

We had a case a number of years were the defense was that the defendant was too endowed to have committed the offense. He wanted to "publish" his penis to the jury, which meant that he physically, in person, wanted to whip it out in front of the jury. The court allowed a picture to be submitted in lieu of his actual member.

"If the dick don't fit, you must acquit." We all said it, but the defense attorney, a friend, didn't ue the line. GUILTY.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My bad. It read to me like you were suggesting a nefarious coverup or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted