1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jake Scott piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Columbo, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Hyde is terrific. It's amazing that Jake Scott would open up to him, seeing as Hyde looks like what central casting might send you if you needed someone to play an FBI agent. I mean, this isn't exactly Chris Jones smoking doobage with Ricky Williams on a beach in Australia, this is maybe even a half-step better.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

tremendous job by david. no surprise there. he's a jewel in every way. a terrific get. a terrific read.

nothing else needs to be said.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Hyde does have a ton of "streed cred" with the 1972 Dolphins.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I be really impressed if he can now find Mike Kolen.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

A very impressive story. It's not going to the end of the earth, but it is going to literally the end of the 50 states.

6. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Way to compare him to every white All-Pro DB you could come up with. I guess you thought Tom Gugliotta was the next Larry Bird, too.

None of those guys returned punts like Scott did. He was more of a complete athlete than that. Vry special. He would maybe be most like Rod Woodson if he had remained a safety out of Purdue.

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

This is the type of story Sunday papers were meant for. Great read.

8. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Of course you can. You can compare Bobby Bonds to Gary Kubiak if you want. But if you're telling others about the man, then at least use a proper comparison.

And I can specifically recall interviewing four of them face-to-face after games. I might have interviewed Cliff Harris, too, for a story I wrote on a great game the Cowboys secondary had, but I think he was hurt that game and didn't play. Too many years ago.

9. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

And you should compare him to "whom" or "whomever" you want. Have a nice day.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yeah. He probably didn't even have to use a dictionary to spell "fuck." Of course, he shouldn't have capitalized it.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Not DB... he compared him with safeties.....

Big, fucking difference.

You should have learned it before spouting.

12. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Yeah, because there are so many white corners out there ...

I realized it was safeties, as I qualified in my Woodson statement. So not "a big fucking difference" to my response.

Draft saved Draft deleted