1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jake Scott piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Columbo, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just one question, and it might be dumb, but what the hell: a lot of the information is background, but for his time in Hawaii, do you think he carried a notebook, or wore a tiny microphone, or did he write down everything from memory once he got back to the hotel room? Because that would be one helluva memory.

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i was wondering the same thing - he scribbled some stuff on a napkin - helluva memory

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Great story. I am just thankful that Hyde did not find Jake at Starbucks. I would have been disapointed.

Its interesting that all those posting on this thread appear to be of the older SportsJournalists.com set. Those who know who Jake Scott is.

Jake Scott fit that mold of a safety - In that same "blood line" of Gary Fencik/ Doug Plank/ Mike Wagner / Charlie Waters / Cliff Harris / Pat Tillman/ John Lynch. All free spirited iconoclasts that hit like a truck.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

it's kind of interesting that scott feels it's okay to lead a life entirely devoted to his own comfort, luxury and indulgence - not much social conscience or impulse to give back

and that the writer never hinted at this vacuum in his personality

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Interesting that he wouldn't let Hyde take a picture. Did he think people would start following him around the mall?

Great story--Hyde doesn't get enough attention around here.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

also curious that scott allowed himself to be interviewed -

could it be that, at 61, he is thinking about his legacy

the writer should have explored this, if only briefly

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If the anecdote is true, that Shula said "F--- You" to Scott in that elevator at the Orange Bowl after Scott said the two should iron out their differences, I'd love to have been a fly the wall to hear the intensity with which Shula said that. If he said it ...

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's because he's not on TV, and he just does an extremely solid job, day in and day out, and he's not bombastic, and he doesn't have a schtick. Just an extremely good, reliable No. 1 columnist.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Shula is a daily communcant. I sure hope he confessed to dropping the F-bomb.

"bless me father for I have sinnned. I told Jake Scott to fuck off"

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Why does the writer have to hint at this vacuum?

Tell the story, let the readers draw their own conclusions.

Terrific story.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He was there to tell the story of what happened to Jake Scott, not to judge him.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I got less than halfway through the story and said out loud, "I love this story. It's great!"

The story tells itself, and Hyde does a great job of communicating that Jake Scott is a little bit eccentric, has quite the colorful past and doesn't ride the yesterday of a career in pro football.

It's almost as if Dave Hyde is telling you about this guy over a few beers. There's no overwriting, no flowery stuff, just damn good direct writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted