1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jake Plummer to call it quits?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Mar 2, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

By the way, back to the original thread... He's not going to retire. He wants to be released, so he can pick his spot. If he goes to Tampa, he has no guarantee of a starting job.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Again, how many titles did Mr. Horse Mouth win without Mr. Mile High Salute?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not going to deny that it's a team game, that Elway needed some help to win it all. When Elway willed the Broncos to three Super Bowls in the '80s, he wasn't exactly surrounded my much talent, either in the backfield or on defense.

Plummer had home-field advantage against a No. 6 seed in the AFC title game ... and lost 34-17. A Plummer pick and fumble in the first half both turned into Steelers touchdowns as they led 24-3 at halftime. Without Plummer's mistakes leading to quick scores, it might have only been 10-3 at the break.

I can't stand Elway, I can't stand the Broncos. And yet to me, it's pretty simple.

If you want to argue Plummer doesn't get enough credit as a quarterback, I'm fine with that. The guy can definitely make a team better, one that reaches January. Sometimes, he can inspire his team to victory. Heck, he's won a road playoff game for the Cardinals, something we might never see in our lifetimes again.

But if you want to compare Plummer to Elway in any way, that's insane because there's no comparison between the two. One was a HOF quarterback with or without Super Bowl rings. The other is a solid quarterback who's never flashed HOF ability.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't think the Lions and Sanders are a good comparison because they didn't win any Super Bowls. I am just saying that Denver's titles had as much to do with Terrell Davis as they did Elway, especially considering folks out there are arguing TD should be in the Hall of Fame despite such a short career.
    I think everyone forgets how good Davis was.
    Sidenote: I hate the Broncos, hate, hate, hate. Growing up when the 'Hawks were in the AFC, I hated the Broncos as much as I hate the Red Sox now. Just so no one thinks I am a fanboy looser of the Broncos.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I understand that. But Elway was a Super Bowl MVP, so it's not like Terrell Davis did it all there. You still need someone to drive that offense and not make crucial mistakes at key times, which Plummer can and will do.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Three AFC championships with a collection of stiffs the likes of which might not have made the playoffs without him, much less made it to the Super Bowl.

But I guess Elway also should have played defense in those Super Bowls.

You're right, though. Elway never won a Super Bowl without a great RB. And everybody knows that ALL the great QBs have proven their worth by winning a Super Bowl without a great RB.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Agreed. I don't even know how I got into this argument. I would never, ever compare Jake the Snake to Elway, I just think that some of the glory hung on Elway needs to be tempered with some love for Terrell Davis.

8. boots

boots New Member

Jake the snake was fake. Everyone knows that. He wasn't the type of guy that teammates rallied around.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Trade goes through anyway. Bucs send conditional pick to Denver.

Now watch them trade him to somewhere else for something better than they sent Denver.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, I just saw that.
    Weird.
    Why would he accept the trade now?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2786694

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm not sure he has to accept the trade. He can say he's retiring all he wants, but that can't stop Denver from trading his rights unless he's got a no-trade clause.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

That's the dumbest thing you've ever typed, which is sayin' somethin'. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted