1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaguars to partially abandon that hellhole Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Say what you will about Jacksonville, but it's a damn sight nicer than Jacksoffville.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I believe the Cards-49ers games in Mexico City were Cards home games when they still played at Sun Devil Stadium. Attendance hasn't been a major problem for the Cards since they moved into a building that didn't force fans to spend half the game sitting in direct sunlight on metal bleachers in 115-degree heat.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken... The Chargers and Vikings are both getting new stadiums. The Niners, while never a threat to leave, are getting one as well.

I agree that playing the LA card has gotten more than one team a new stadium. Assuming San Diego and Minnesota are staying, which teams would even be candidates to move to LA? Rams? Raiders? Jags? There really aren't that many options.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sun Devil Stadium was a shithole...

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those bullets have just about been spent, though. The LA threat has been used at least a half-dozen times around the country, but now that the Vikings' deal is done, it's really down to four teams: St. Louis, Jacksonville, San Diego and Oakland. The two in California are going to have a bitch of a time going that route to get public funding.

My money is still on the Rams moving back.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You'd be wrong. The local TV ratings in the Jacksonville area are much higher for the NFL than any college game -- and not just for Jaguars games.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not sure what the Kevin Bacon reference is supposed to be about. I can assure you there are not "swaths" of empty seats, unless it was the last five minutes of one of Del Rio's stinker games. Facts are facts: The NFL attendance figures show the Jaguars consistently ahead of the Bucs, Dolphins, Rams, Cincinnati and Arizona. I could count the Bears, but they only offer 61,000 seats and have a waiting list.
    The Jaguars may be close to last in terms of your interest. Don't speak for everyone else.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You conveniently leave out that the team and sponsors buy tickets at 35 cents on the dollar to avoid blackouts.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yet, that great city L.A. lost two NFL franchises IN THE SAME YEAR! in 1993.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And every NFL team has the ability to do that. Jacksonville is not playing by different rules.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, but then their attendance figures are really just bullshit.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Just one of Bacon's finest cinematic moments:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted