1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaguars to partially abandon that hellhole Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 20, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here's my top-10 in Jacksonville (adding a couple from St. Augustine, 30 miles away)
    1. Singleton's (Mayport, by the ferry). Looks like a dump, right on the water, no pretensions but great seafood and they actually care about the side dishes.

2. Lulu's, Ponte Vedra: good chance to see Fred Funk, Fuzzy Zoeller, David Duval or Mike Mularkey in there. During the week of the Players three years ago, Sergio Garcia, Adam Scott, Graeme McDowell and other guys threw Rory McIlroy his 21st birthday party there. Appetizers are tremendous.

3. Ichiban, Neptune Beach: best sushi and Japanese steak place. Waiters do the dog and pony show at the grill.

4. Mossfire Grill, Riverside (2 miles from downtown): An upscale Moe's, but still affordable, gargantuan portions, good ritas.

5. Gypsy Cab, St. Augustine: Steve Spurrier's favorite restaurant. He still has a beachfront condo near there.

6. Ruth's Chris, when I can afford it. Two locations.

7. Osteen's, St. Augustine: An oddity. Not on the water (but blocks away), doesn't serve beer, wine or liquor. But they're always packed, with a line outside. Best fried shrimp in town, batter is not overbearing. Pole bean side dish is awesome. Best ice tea EVER.

8. Sliders, Neptune Beach: People drive for miles to have their butternut grouper.

9. Tommy's, Southside Blvd., Jacksonville: Best pizza in town. They don't give you round slices of pepperoni. They put thinly sliced sheets of it before putting on the cheese.

10. Cruisers, four locations. Locally owned chain that specializes in burgers, tacos and huge marinated chicken salads.

25 years from now when the Jaguars are still in Jacksonville and some of your have had to cover a game here, you'll thank me.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I saw Jason Isbell at a small blues/BBQ joint in Jacksonville five years ago. Can't remember the name, but it was the best BBQ I've ever had.

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Probably MoJo's, which was indeed the First Coast's best BBQ.

Jax is definitely a good foodie town. The Jax-based chains alone are pretty strong: MoJo's, Firehouse Subs, Larry's Giant Subs, Al's Pizza, European Street, La Napolera, etc.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It was MoJo's. I gotta get back there someday. The brisket was ridiculous.

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I hope this guy never sits on a jury. Heaven help the defendant.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dude,

If you read any of the (hundreds of) PSU threads on the board, you'll see I ain't the one wanting to fry defendants.

Plenty of others to fill that role.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

All of them take a back seat to Beach Road Chicken Dinners on Atlantic Blvd.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Personal taste here, but I always thought Beach Road Chicken was a bit overrated.

Draft saved Draft deleted