1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaguars beat writer, Jacksonville, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, May 7, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Florida Times-Union is looking for a top journalist to cover the Jacksonville Jaguars beat. This is a high-profile beat in which candidates will be expected to break news in print and online in a competitive environment. Previous NFL beat experience a plus, but not a requirement. Strong writing and reporting skills essential, along with the ability to thrive in a multimedia environment.

The Florida Times-Union offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life, short- and long- term disability, personal time off and holiday pay, and 401(k). Please send cover letter, resume and clips to: tujobs@jacksonville.com. Please reference the position for which you are applying in the subject line. No phone calls please.

Thank you for understanding that due to the large volume of resumes received it is not possible to acknowledge receipt of each resume.

EOE DRUG-FREE SMOKE FREE WORKPLACE

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Wow. It always surprises me to see jobs of this caliber pop up on here.

3. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Why?
    There's no sense whatsoever in keeping it a secret. I don't have time to keep up with what highly-qualified writer/editor from some other part of the country is now looking for work because yet another chain is slicing payroll. There have been some big-time journalists whacked for reasons beyond their control.
    A post just like this will certainly flag them. It also guarantees you'll get at least 100 resumes. If you can't find a winner out of that stack, it's on you.
    Example: Orlando hired Barry Forbis last year for a college football job. Barry was sports editor at the now defunct Rocky Mountain News. Entirely different region. Were the Orlando folks tuned into what was happening in Denver? Would Barry have been aware of the Orlando job without this forum? Would either have known of the other's interest?
    I don't know, but when a resume like that lands on your desk, it immediately leaps to the top.
    We post to JournalismJobs.com for the very same reason.
    The bigger the pool of candidates, the better.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Buckeye, I didn't mean to sound critical. The surprise is pleasant. In this climate, it's a pleasant surprise when you see a great job like this one pop on the board. And there have been some really good ones from time to time, this one included.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

where did the opening come from? forgive me, i've been on i.r. for a couplea months -- is vito still the main man? ??? ??? ???

6. I believe Michael C. Wright has left for ESPN Chicago.

7. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

What happens to this beat when the team moves to Los Angeles?

My tongue is only partially in cheek.

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I saw it on Morris.com.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You'll have to start following Tim Tebow around the country the way the Asian journalists follow Ichiro.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gotta love anyone who was named after Michael Corleone.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I get your drift. It's nice to see an interesting (and fun) job in our current economic climate. I'm sure a lot of people's eyes get a little bigger when they see such openings.

12. What's funny is how people bashed this job when it came open a few years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted