1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaguars beat writer, Florida Times-Union

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Furry Tractor, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Bart Hubbuch

Bart Hubbuch New Member

Just to clear up the some of the more sinister notions mentioned here (and to break up all the unjustified bashing of the city): This job is open because I'm becoming the takeout/investigations/big event writer, a position I'm very excited about after five years of Tom Coughlin and Jack Del Rio even though it will still include some Jags coverage.

If you have any questions about the Jags beat job (it's the backup role), feel free to PM me and I'll fill you in.

Resume jokes about rednecks and Waffle Houses ...

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is Del Rio a pain in the ass? No way he's as thorough in that regard as Coughlin.

3. boots

boots New Member

I am coming off a four-day trip to JVille and while the city has changed much, thanks in part to the NFL Experience, it still has a LOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGG way to go. Has it made strides, yes. I was there for the Super Bowl and the city did its best to put on a good show but I wasn't disappointed because I knew it was Jacksonville and knew it would be limited in its scope on everything.
    The beat is a good one. No question there. The paper is not the best, no question there. The management and its philosophy is very shaky.
    I don't want to name names because that's not my style. All I'm telling anyone who is serious about applying is to check the situation out. It wasn't for me. It might be great for someone else.
    I don't think there should be any argument about that.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

1. Morris can be problematic, mostly because of the money you can pay to keep good people. But when I worked for them, they treated me pretty fairly.

2. I had no problem living in Jacksonville, made some good friends there, lived in a nice area...and that was almost 20 years ago (hard to believe). You could find good restaurants, things to do, great running community there, and plenty of golf.

3. It is the south, and it's not exactly a liberal bastion. But my ex-wife, a liberal bastion unto herself, got along fine there.

4. I've only met him briefly, perhaps, but I rarely hear anything but good things about Chet.

5. It's an NFL beat, not schlepping preps. People who turn their noses up at an opening like that aren't thinking straight career-wise (if that's the track they want to be on).

5. boots

boots New Member

I don't think everyone here is bashing Jville. It is what it is. Some call it paradise. Others call it Hell. If you've ever lived there or been there for a period of time, you can come up with your own conclusion.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Even Elvis didn't like Jacksonville. They wouldn't let him wiggle onstage.

7. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

I personally like J-ville and have been here for 20 years. I'm just hoping to find another job here rather than take the one I just recieved in West Palm Beach. Besides, the Jags are a decent team, one I've been following all of its years. But does being a recent college grad rule me out?

8. boots

boots New Member

What do you have to lose? Remember, it doesn't matter how many times someone tells you no, you just need one person to tell you yes.

9. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Jacksonville is Jacksonville.... take it for what it is: basically an extension of South Georgia/South Alabama.
    Morris is what it is.
    But Chet is a great guy. I'd work for him again in a heartbeat.
    And you're covering the NFL.... what's not to like about that?

11. freak

freak Guest

Boots, if the TU offered you the beat, you would move back to Jacksonville faster than Reggie Bush's parents bolted out "their" home.

12. boots

boots New Member

Apparently you have not been reading properly. I just returned from a four-day visit in Jville. And No, I wouldn't live back there or accept a job there for several reasons. Some of which have been mentioned prominently on this board.
    Again, it might be a great job and location for you. It's not for me. I've been there, did it, done it. End of story.

Draft saved Draft deleted