1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaguars beat writer, Florida Times-Union

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Furry Tractor, Apr 21, 2006.

1. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Oh, I spent my whole life in Louisiana and Mississippi and I'll probably spend the rest of my days there too. Thankfully, I live in a decent sized city with stuff going on.
    When I call a place a "redneck pisshole" I'm talking about places like Lucedale, Miss. and Grant Parish, La. Where all the people are ugly, all the restaurants suck, anyone with half a brain is leaving town the day after high school graduation and the only thing to do at night is wander aimlessly around Winn-Dixie or Wal-Mart. And you're right, there are places like that on the West Coast, the East Coast and the Midwest.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I think we're on the same page.

And having grown up in the town where Wal-Mart began, I'll let the mention of walking around the retail giant go. I've logged WAY too much time in Wal-Mart during my life, but, as someone who works on a news desk, I thank God every time I'm driving home hungry at 2:30 a.m. that Wal-Mart exists.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Here's what I think is funny: It's an NFL beat at a paper recognized by APSE. The T-U can't completely suck. And I'm sure there are things to do in Jacksonville.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

If there are things to do in Denver when you're dead, there are certainly things to do in J'ville if you're a journalist.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Even if you have to sneak in the back door...[/boots]

6. Just to defend my friend's paper, this is what he tells me:

1. As has been pointed out, the paper was honorable mention top 10 daily.

2. Their columnist won three APSE writing top 10s this past contest. Three in one year. From what I am told, that is a rare thing.

3. They are sinking more money into the paper, my friend says.

4. The sports editor is considered a very good guy and is changing the culture of the section.

5. The city is near some nice beaches.

6. It is an NFL beat, after all.

The only thing I cannot defend is their does seem to be a pretty significant redneck population there. My friend says he sees Confederate flags all over the place. What's up with that anyway?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's the south, hypo, and no I'm not a south basher. But you'll see pockets of that in most southern cities.

J-ville bashing is off base in my book, for what that's worth, both of the paper and the town.

Is it NY or the NY Times?

No.

Would I live and work there? In a heartbeat.

The winner of this job derby, contact me. I'll turn you on to one of the best restaurants you'll ever find. Yes, in Jacksonville. Amazing.

8. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

I love J-Ville and hope that I am considered for this job, even though I haven't been writing for 20 years.  Why are people bashing this city?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Because it is the hip thing to do. Because Jax isn't flashy or trendy. Because it isn't wow or now.
    It's just a good place, plain and simple. Beaches, golf, restaurants, dog tracks.

10. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

That's all we need is a plain town. I'd rather stay away from the NY or the LA's.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For Pete's sake, even if you think this is the No. 30 NFL town and NFL town paper, it won't stop a thousand of your peers from applying. You're not getting anyone here to reconsider applying by running smack about J-ville.

Someone earlier mentioned Publix. Not saying you take a job 'cause the local supermarket kicks ass, but if you've lived in Florida and then moved someplace where the grocery shopping sucks...well, you really miss Publix.

12. fortyoz

fortyoz Guest

Remember when the Super Bowl was in Jacksonville? Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted