1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaguars allowing fans to watch something else

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ColdCat, Jul 2, 2013.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

'Cuz if you're at a Jaguars game the last thing you want to do is watch a Jaguars game, Everbank Field will show the RedZone channel on the video screen during games. Good idea?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/01/jags-may-show-continuous-redzone-on-new-video-boards/

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's pretty stupid. Fans will quickly realize that they might as well watch games on TV at home, where they can save a buncha bucks while also not having to watch the Jaguars.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fans already know that.

I see this as pretty smart. On the long list of reasons I would never go to a game, this addresses my reason #1. The stadiums of the future are all moving toward this concept.

4. Riptide

Yeah, but once they're distracted by other games televised at the stadium, why bother coming out to the stadium anymore?

"Shit, I could be watching those games at home ... "

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But people are already saying that. And the NFL is tremendously worried. The answer is, believe it or not, to make the stadium experience more like home.

6. Riptide

I hear ya. Works best if you have a good game in front of you, I guess.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Most stadiums already have other scores posted on different boards, do they not? Now they can see how those scores happened. Not a big deal. Although, it all depends on the execution. I would hold it off until one of the bizillion TV timeouts, rather than running it during play or in between plays.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ding ding!

Exactly. The absolute worst part of the stadium experience are those excruciatingly long delays for commercials when nothing is happening and you're twiddling your thumbs (it's especally bad when there are two in a very short span, such as one after a score, then another right after the kickoff). So why not fill that time with something that will really engage the fan rather than an ad or some lame music or a video board trivia quiz?

If it's done right, it has the potential to be brilliant.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Jags should just show replays of the Florida and Georgia games that took place the day before... Most of the people there care more about watching those games a second time than they do watching the Jags live. :D

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or the tractor pulls from the night before.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If they are showing it during timeouts and halftime, great. I wouldn't show it while the live game on the field is taking place.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As opposed to watching in-game commercials at the stadium?

Draft saved Draft deleted