1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jags' Collier shot, in critical condition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If it is buried in the NFL thread, I didn't see it. Deserves its own.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10957505

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's not burried and was touched on for a few posts. It's a very bad situation in an area of Jacksonville that isn't crime-ridden per se. Collier is the third NFL player to be shot in the past 18 months. Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor was fatally shot during what police said was a botched burglary attempt at his Miami-area home in November. Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was killed when his rented limousine was sprayed with bullets minutes after leaving a New Year's party at a downtown Denver club in 2007

3. Moderator1

I was coming here to delete this because it IS on the other thread (old news? jeeeez). But I have to ask: What does crime ridden per se mean? It is either crime ridden. Or it isn't.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

WHY would you delete this? Those endless running threads are so stupid. Does everyone have to slog through dozens of pages to see if there's anything worth knowing? We're in the news business, what's wrong with posting actual news?? Sheesh!

5. Moderator1

Good point. What I should have done is change the NFL thread title because it was 99 percent about this.
    Anyway, leaving it up and still wondering - crime ridden per se?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I wouldn't classify that part of town as being "bad." I seriously believe that this was a case of revenge of some kind.

7. Moderator1

So it is not crime ridden?

The whole "per se" thing threw me. Per se is unnecessary here.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Jacksonville has become a pretty rough town. Plenty of criminal lurking about and a few of them I do know on an up close and personal level (no, it's not worth elaborating about).
    But that area of town isn't know for shootings, especially one like this.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This guy (and God be with him as he attempts to recover) has, by many accounts, been hanging for some time with a questionable crowd. Or, should I say, testing his luck.

Or so it seems from the write-ups.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

From what I've been able to gather, that's not entirely true Blitz but then again, I'm only speaking about what I know about him. lets just pray 4 a full recovery.
    If you're keeping score at home, remember Jerome McDugle was shot in Florida a few years back. The Sunshine State isn't kind to football stars.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

McDougle.... and only Taylor was a star.

water torture continues.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

McDougle was a star at Miami.

Draft saved Draft deleted