1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jaden Smith to play Daniel LaRusso in Karate Kid remake

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To give Bill Simmons more material?

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Because people are lazy?

Actually, I think Baron Scicluna's right on this one.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not saying it will be good, but I think it will be successful.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Because Hollywood is completely and utterly out of new ideas.

That's why there are remakes of Porky's, Red Dawn and just about every other 80s movie in the works.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not ideologically opposed to remakes in general, but this is a bad idea.

A remake of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' or 'The War of the Worlds' or 'King Kong' aren't bad ideas because new technology can bring something to the movie (not that the execution is always there, but there is a legit reason to do it). But what can a remake bring to 'The Karate Kid,' especially if it's about a 10-year-old?

The story of a 16-year-old turning to an old asian guy to teach him how to defend himself from bullies (and learning that "fighting always last resort") was something that could resonate pretty strongly with a young audience back in the '80s (and even today). But a story about 10-year-olds bullying and engaging in violence has some problems to overcome, methinks.

6. Hear fucking hear.

7. Mizzougrad96

I also hear Ghostbusters 3 is coming...

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Basically. No one in Hollywood (Pixar animators excluded) has come up with a fresh idea in about 10 years.

No Pat Morita (and since he's...dead...this is highly unlikely) there is no way you get me in the theater. Pat Morita WAS the Karate Kid.

9. Mizzougrad96

Apparently Ghostbusters 3 will star Ben Stiller, Seth Rogen and someone else as the new generation and Aykroyd, Murray, Ramis will all have small parts.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They re-animated Orville Redenbacher.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

And convinced him to post here.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do not forget about Ernie Hudson.

Draft saved Draft deleted