1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jacksonville cuts (again!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PBOWKER, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Two writers

2. espnguy

espnguy Member

Hearing one of those writers is a long-time Morris veteran. That what you hearing, too, Moddy?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes - and one, I think (emphasis on think), was part-time. Not that it makes it suck any less.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

A news writer is losing her job six months after being transfered there from another Morris property.

5. joe

joe Active Member

From Miss L's Facespace, I know one news copy editor took a buyout, and there was another news copy editor who was shitcanned. Fuck that bullshit term "laid off." Fired is what happens, for no cause other than the bottom line. God damn, I hate newspapers these days.

Joe

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Decided to take a gander at the Savannah Morning News' staff list tonight, in the wake of the cuts at Jacksonville.
    Noticed the names of Savannah State beat writer Noell Barnidge and longtime photog John Carrington (great shooter and an even better dude. One of my favorite people in the world) were not among those still at Chatham Parkway.
    Barnidge's LinkedIn profile lists him as laid off after 7 1/2 years.
    Can anyone else provide further background? Anyone know what happened to Carrington?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Supposedly they're down to seven writers.

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Confirmed more layoffs at Savannah. Sports staff is down to four (?).
    Even the executive editor's husband got laid off.

9. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I was offered a job there a few years back, bigbad. Turned it down not in small part because I didn't want to get sucked into the Morris blackhole. I think that ended up being a good call.

Draft saved Draft deleted