1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackson, Wyo.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Aug 26, 2007.

1. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

This was the best vacation I've ever been on. It's been too long since I've been there.

As already mentioned, definitely hike around Jenny Lake.

If possible, go white water rafting on the Snake River.

I stayed at the Spring Creek Ranch & it was simply amazing.

Enjoy your stay!

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions. The wedding and festivities are at some resort outside of town. I'll be staying in town at a motel. Rafting sounds great. There's not much water around these parts, so the idea of enough water in one place that you could go fast in a boat sounds great.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Can't contribute anything but a little factual accuracy. State and Ole Miss haven't played each other in Jackson since 1990.

That being said, have a great time out there.

4. writing irish

Fuck, that was like hearing a muzak version of an Elvis Costello song in the grocery store- more evidence that I'm getting old.

When I was a kid, my dad always had tickets to games at Memorial Stadium in Jackson, Miss. Saw lots of State, Ole Miss and USM games. Didn't know the Egg Bowl was no longer in Jackson. I'm not an Ole Miss or MSU fanboy, so I don't keep up with what they're doing these days. Apparently.

5. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

check out the mangy moose and snake river brewing.

6. azom

azom Member

In addition to the above-mentioned stuff, a couple suggestions:

Check out the Chapel of the Transfiguration in the Park. Jackson Lake and Jackson Lake Dam can be pretty. Jackson Lake Lodge is sweet. The Colter Bay Visitor Center offers some good views of Mt. Moran.

If you're looking for somewhere out of the way where the tourist count might be a little less, there are a few places you can go. Try Turpin Meadow, the Gros Ventre slide or Hoback Canyon.

No matter what you do (Yellowstone included), try to do as much outdoorsy/sightseeing stuff as you can during the early morning or the evening. Otherwise, be ready for tourists elbow to elbow.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Travis Rice.

8. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

The location has already been pointed out as false...grudge match? Hardly. More of a glorified pillow fight.

9. writing irish

Go finger yourself, G-Spot. :D

10. Trucha

Trucha Member

Actually, a minor correction ... Jackson is the town, Jackson Hole is the entire valley.

Can't argue with many of the suggestions here. Rafting the Snake (in the canyon) rocks. The Bunnery is great, but there are many other choices for breakfast. Watch the moose and/or elk in Willow Flats from the bar at Jackson Lake Lodge, with amazing views of Jackson Lake and the Tetons. You won't find a prettier place to get a drink.

If there's time, drive out in the evening to Antelope Flats and the old "Shane" cabin, which is falling down. Slide Lake out there is pretty cool, too, and there are terrific sunsets behind the Tetons.

Don't even think about buying property ...

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i also have a sweet little fly-fishing spot south of town. remote, few (if any people), beautiful scenery and cutthroat trout by the thousand willing to gulp any fly dropped in front of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted