1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackson, Wyo.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Aug 26, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'll be in the "other" Jackson soon...not the one where Ole Miss and State play their annual grudge match...but the one in Wyoming. Anyone have any tips for Jackson and/or the Tetons? Anything to be sure to check out or avoid?

I won't have a whole lot of time. It's a family trip...my niece's semi-odious "Princess Destination Wedding." I had a thread about several months ago, if anyone remembers. Brother-in-law decided to pony up for most of the expenses, so I'm going to make the trip. There are places I'd rather go with my limited vacation time, but I must admit, the scenery where I live doesn't match up well against Jackson:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

If I had the money, I would probably live year-round in Jackson. Great place with all the scenery you would ever need/want. And some great breakfasts!

3. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

The five-star chefs at Jackson Lake Lodge also prepare lunch. So you can get a fantastic $50 meal for about $20 bucks if you time it right. Plus, the views are incredible from just about anywhere. The museum across from the Elk refuge is pretty darn cool. Be sure you see the town square and the antler arches. Oh, and be sure to hit "The Bunnery" for breakfast. As they say, "Get your Buns In here." It's a block off the square.

Hope that helps.

4. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Thanks for ruining my day and taunting me with The Bunnery ;)
    Man, that place rocks.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I believe the services of said bakery are being employed for some aspect of the wedding festivities. I'm taking that as good news.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

Isn't there also a Jackson Hole, WY? Or is Jackson just short for Jackson Hole?

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Jackson Hole is long for Jackson, actually.

I'll be in Jackson on Sept 8 for a bike race that wraps up at the foot of the mountains just west of town.

Looking for a 'must-do' thing? Ride the tram to the top of the mountain at the resort. It's 12,000 feet up and you can see forever.

Take a day trip to Jenny Lake and do some hiking. There is an awesome trail around the lake and a side trial up one of the little canyons to a hidden waterfall that drops for about 150 feet.

It's not a bad idea to watch a show at the Pink Garter Theatre if it's still in season.

Also, do a little white water rafting if the flow is good. A quick trip through Lunch Counter and Big Kahuna rapids will be a memory worth sharing.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Million Dollar Bar - where you can "saddle up for a cold one"
    Grand Tetons
    and Yellowstone is just an hour away.

9. Faithless

Faithless Member

The photo alone on the first post makes me want to go back to Jackson Hole/Tetons/Yellowstone for another vacation. It was our best family vacation ... even better than the Western Caribbean cruise or the Disney World/Epcot trip where the in-laws picked up the entire tab.

We spent most of our time in Yellowstone doing the outdoorsy stuff. We were in Jackson Hole for a few hours before flying out. Couldn't enjoy the nightlife since we had two young kids with us. I hope wifey and I can make a return visit to Jackson Hole for a few days and maybe drive up to Yellowstone for a day.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Hike around Jenny Lake

Drive up to Yellowstone if you have a day to spend, or if you have just half a day get up about 4 or 5 a.m. and make the most of it

Go fly fishing if you do that and have the time

Have fresh trout for breakfast one morning

Take a rafting trip if you have time

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You won't be able to climb the Grand Teton, so Mt. Jackson is a nice, fairly easy climb to a peak of about 10.5K.

The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar is touristy but the bar is cool.

It's been many, many moons since I've been in Jackson or nearby Wilson.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted