1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jack McCallum is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boobie Miles, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

very underrated. Or maybe he's not, but he doesn't seem to get the attention or acclaim that other SI writers like King or Verducci get. Maybe it's because he covers the NBA or he's not churning out elaborate prose. He's not fancy, but I find his style exceedingly easy to read. Everything seems to flow and he's always got great sources and you learn a few things you didn't know about the topic going in. He also has a way of writing declarative statements about a player, coach or team with an authority that only comes from covering the league as long as he has. There isn't any article in particular that prompted this, but it dawned on me while I was reading his latest story that he's consistently good and doesn't get much attention around here and am interested if others agree.

P.S. And yes, this IS Jack McCallum. ":07 Seconds or Less" is available on Amazon.com.

P.P.S. (It's not really Jack)

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I am with you.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

...not dead. or in my kitchen.

4. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

McCallum has ALWAYS been my favorite SI writer. But I'm biased since I'm a big NBA fan. But I love his work.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

... has never been to rehab with Aim-ee Wine-House (clap, clap, clap clap clap)

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I don't even like the NBA, but read McCallum.

7. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Boobie's post is dead-on. McCallum's stuff is always good. His piece on spending time as a coach on the Phoenix Suns' staff (I guess that was the basis for a book, but I haven't read the book) was top-drawer.

8. bob

bob Member

I've known Jack for many years. He's a pro...thorough...not flashy...doesn't scream on TV...doesn't seek attention...highly regarded throughout the NBA. Most of all, he's very readable.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jack is a wonderful writer. I have always enjoyed his work. I defy anyone to read the story he wrote last year on his buddy who was killed in Viet Nam and not be brought to tears.

At this Jack is a better writter than the NBA is a league which may account for why some of you think he is unsung. In its heyday his work was the best - still is but the league sucks.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He's always a great read. His Suns book was pretty interesting.

And Boom, in no way does the NBA suck.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

compared to where it once was - yes it does suck

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

where was it?

Draft saved Draft deleted