1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jack Johnson relatives continue fight for pardon.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Good, well-written story on relatives' fight alongside Sen. John McCain to gain presidential pardon for Jack Johnson for his convictions related to violations of the Mann Act - taking (white) woman across state lines for immoral purposes.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/22/jack.johnson.pardon/index.html

BTW: If you enjoy boxing or history I would recommend Burns documentary on Jack Johnson. It is very good.

Though it is not mentioned in the CNN story, I'm pretty sure Johnson's death in 1946 as a result of the car crash was more due to the fact he was turned away from one or two "whites only" hospitals after the crash.
    One final injustice for Johnson.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'd lock up the other Jack Johnson for making shitty music.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have no sympathy for Mr. Johnson, he should have kept the white women home for immoral purposes. No laws broken then.

4. no jury in the world would acquit that guy

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Says the guy quoting a song by Player in his sig.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Haha. My first thought upon seeing this thread was "sitting, waiting, wishing."

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It made my toes bubbly.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My favorite Jack Johnson story: He's tooling through a town in a big, fast car. Gets pulled over. Asks the cop what the fine is. When told $50, he gives the guy a C-note and says, "I'm coming back through tomorrow."

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Jack Johnson : music
    berry wine coolers : beverages

Draft saved Draft deleted