1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jack Dempsey vs Jack Johnson, Did it happen?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

I stumbled across this post on another forum and found it very interesting.

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=37088

The link to the E-Bay seller is below...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-oddball-boxing-item-Jack-Johnson-Jack-Dempsey_W0QQitemZ170116596372QQihZ007QQcategoryZ31635QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

I wonder if there are microfilm in the city archives of The Brooklyn Eagle?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

wrong usage of the phrase "begs the question," but otherwise quite fascinating.

4. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

To 99 percent of the population, that is the right usage of the phrase "begs the question." That 99 percent knows what the writer means. The language is organic, and this is how words end up with more than one meaning in the dictionary. Eventually, even the most unrelenting academics will probably acknowledge this as an acceptable alternate definition for "begging the question."

Anyway, fascinating story.

5. Thank you, Terence, for that entertaining trip into postmodern language theory.
    That said, this is a fascinating story that I have never heard before. Ken Burns's Jack Johnson film certainly never mentioned it. It's hard to believe Dempsey, who was a restaurateur and party guy, wouldn't ever have let it slip, but...

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, sorry, this is the hill I have chosen to die on. So be it.

7. It is a good day to die for language.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed. Also hard to believe that there would be little mention in the press on a fight between such heavyweights (pardon the pun) of the time as Johnson and Dempsey.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fascinating stuff, indeed. I've read plenty on both men and never heard that before. Never heard of the Brooklyn Eagle but how many papers were there in New York at the time? And nobody else picked up on the rumour of a fight between two of the most famous (or infamous in Johnson's case, I guess) athletes in America at the time?

Johnson died in 1946, 25 years after this alleged fight took place and Dempsey died in 1983 so it's not like they're wasn't plenty of time for the press to ask about it.

10. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

Here's the origin of the Brooklyn Eagle article.

Chicago Tribune boxing writer Ray Pearson created a hypothetical bout between Dempsey and Johnson taking place in Saskatoon on Dec. 4, 1921, a week before the item appeared in the Eagle. Both stories include a round-by-round account with Dempsey knocking out Johnson in the seventh.

I can't link the Trib account here since it's on an academic database. If you PM me, I can email it to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted