1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J-Ratz busts a cap in Mo's ass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

His Holiness disses Islam:

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-09-15T133939Z_01_L14330092_RTRUKOC_0_US-RELIGION-POPE-ISLAM.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsHome-C3-worldNews-2

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Here's what troubles me about things like this... All of this condemnation and outrage over some dopey remarks made by a dude with little power to affect the life of a typical muslim. Before the remarks are even fresh, you've got governments passing resolutions and newspapers railing about how its all part of the American-Zionest conspiracy to eradicate Islam.

How come we didn't see even half as much outrage over 9/11, Osama Bin Laden, or the things that Hezbollah has done? More people's perceptions of the religion are cemented by those things than what the Pope has to say.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I can't help but wonder..........

How tolerant of Christianity are those Muslims calling for condemnation of the Pope?

(Disclaimer -- I am not Catholic.)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would ya like to be? Am sure I can arrange a sect that will be right up your alley....

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I got next Tuesday in the pool for the announcement of the fatwa against the Pope.

6. One thing the leader of the Roman Catholic Church ought not to do is criticize anyone else for spreading their religion through violence in the early years.
    Start with Constantine and work your way forward through Franco.
    Take your time.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

:eek:

Slappy, I am NOT going to ask!

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why stop with Franco? Croatia and Croatian Bosnia circa 1994 will do.

The message was flawed, the messenger -- and I am Catholic -- was wrong. It's like an English soccer fan condemning Dutch fans for being hooligans ... kind of rings hollow.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Pope's official annoucement condeming pedophile priests in his own church??

Still waiting for that one.

10. In fairness, Star, you can probably find a statement to that effect.
    Actual actions to end the crisis, eh, not so much.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Actually, you may not.

Official word out of Rome a few years ago was that it was a bunch of charges trumped up by the American media.

Also, the Popemobile better not have it's windows open
    [​IMG]

A masked Palestinian man from the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade attends a rally in Gaza to protest against remarks regarding Islam made by Pope Benedict XVI September 15, 2006. REUTERS/Mohammed Salem (GAZA)

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As a Cardinal, Ratzenberger was one of the loudest proponents of this theory.

Therefore, the Roman Catholic Church has no moral authority, whatsoever, to comment on anything, whatsoever.

We'll have to wait for Pope George Ringo I to do anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted