1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J-Dub redux

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

(This belongs on the geek thread) . . . .

He was listed at 70 when the old Marvel Universe came out. But after he was injuered in Mutant Massacre, he came back a lot bigger and stringer, and is generally accepted to be at above 100 tons now. They powerd him up at aboutn the same time they took The Thing from 85 tons to more than 100. Stioll no Hulk or Thor . . .

http://www.marveldatabase.com/Colossus_(Piotr_Rasputin)

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Damn, I missed all of this, including Thing. Cool, I'm glad he's at that power level now

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That's a damn good article. Very tight, and to the point on Al and Jesse.

In my book, Jesse is a has-been, Al a never-was.

I didn't realize that the Rutgers players were receiving death threats. That's idiotic.

Al and Jesse are camera-hounds, and scandal-mongers. That is their livelihood, as J-Dub correctly points out. And that being the case, it is in their interest to continue to have 'scandals' to chase. That is, substantive change wouldn't be good for business.

Excellent job. And very necessary. This column combined with Le Batard's 4.15.07 Miami Herald piece (link is earlier in thread) provide excellent rhetorical illumination to the shadows where Jesse and Al do much of their 'work.'

5. I'd like to know what Charles thinks is the problem with leaders being "really old."
    When he was a Republican, they didn't seem to have any problem with Ronald Reagan.
    And Jason, "Getting in harm’s way so a coach could have her moment to tell the world about the troubles she’s known?"

Assertions,even yours, are not evidence, but thank you very much for playing.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't know if any of you had any PR courses when you earned your J-school degree, but here is a scenario that I am unsure if it has been covered on this board or not.

What is the Rutgers team just blew his comments off? If their comment about this was "he is just a talk show host that has nothing to do with us."

Where would this story have gone without comments and press conferences from Rutgers? I think nowhere.

Two weeks ago 90 percent of America did not know who Don Imus was or Coach Stringer (probably 99 percent on that one) was. Now I would say 95 percent of America knows their names and Al and Jesse are back in the news. Great.

You know what? I still can't name one girl on the Rutgers team. And they are the ones receiving death threats who I'm pretty sure have never received one. Seems a little unfair doesn't it?

A good PR person, or SID, would have told Stringer that this story will die on the vine if Rutgers does not talk about it or dismiss it. But they did not.

F this entire story.

F Rutgers.

F the hair dresser they took these girls to before the press conference.

F the fact that they probably should be studying for classes and not being paraded out to the media.

F every person who is commenting on this story has a rap sheet. Brown and Barkley (who I love) included.

F all of it.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The major difference is that Vivian Stringer did not seek out this controversy. She doesn't have a history of seeking out racially charged situations so she can blow them up out of proportion and exploit them. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson do. Lumping her in with those two is unfair and ridiculous. She didn't ask for this shit. Once she was thrown into it (unlike Jackson and Sharpton who threw themselves into it--huge difference), it was fair for her to handle it however she saw fit.

I like the tact Jason has taken on all of this; he has resonated with a lot of people. But the fact that he continues to make the coach an issue detracts from his point. It's too bad, because he is otherwise right on target on this one.

8. 93Devil

Ummmmm. She does now.

Check out her media guide bio.

http://scarletknights.com/basketball-women/coaches/stringer.html

I would say she is a little bit of a self promoter. I think they forgot to mention that she won her seventh grade spelling bee.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Devil, She's a basketball coach who responded to something involving HER team. The next time she picks a controversy involving some complete strangers and jets off to interject herself into the situation to garner media attention, will be the first time.

Jason Whitlock is a "bit of a self-promoter." Lots of people are. It doesn't make who and what they are akin to the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world.

10. 93Devil

Are you saying throughout the entire tournament not one person in the stands or another player said anything negative to them? Come on.

She held a press conference. Then the next day she wanted a summit at the governor's house with Imus. I think her "one time" expired a long time ago.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

93, you're doing a vastly better job staking out this position than I did last night. Good job. :)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll preface this by saying I've never been a Vivian Stringer fan (I'm not cool enough to call he C. Viv like some columnists do). I find her annoying. Just always have.

She had a right to defend her players, she had the right to ask for a meeting with Imus to hear him out and she damn well had every right to demand an apology for her players. Anything more than that, STFU...

Draft saved Draft deleted